Register To Comment

Thread: My own fighting robots

This is my first featherweight of three, this one is called Ravil Lamein & it will have a low pressure co2 flipper. The pictures you see is the small parts I had like the base plates & some armour plates I had from college 2008, but I want to weld up the chassis to make sure the armour fit. The steel tubings I got few weeks a go from the B & Q store. Ravil Lamein was going to be a 4 wheel drive flipper but I found on facebook that there few issues with having a 4 wheel drive flipper robot so I'm planning to go stick with 2 wheel drive. The extra slots for the extra will be there to lose extra weight, & the gold markings are line to cut the steel as well as new drive system for the 2 wheel drive Ravil Lamain, I'm going to use 24volt drill motors but I'll get chassis built first. The Ravil Lamein is a cartoon charater version of based on a gothic/punk girl base on a Canadian rock star avril lavien.

the steel base planet
    IMGA0176.JPGIMGA0177.JPGIMGA0178.JPGIMGA0179.JPGIMGA0180.JPGIMGA0181.JPGIMGA0182.JPG
    The steel base plate is about 1 - 3mm thick & the black tap is a marking for the steel chassis, golden marking as well as the black making is to show how I planning to lay everything out but it may change plus the there are 4 wheel slots the front 2 may have to be use to lose weight to satrt off.

The chassis
    IMGA0183.JPG
    this steel will be used to create the chassis for Ravil Lamein, possible with holes to lose more weight.

I'm planning to build 2 more featherweight robots as subs in case Ravil Lamein fail to work or for my team mates

So what do you all think.

i made a start on my 1st robot last Sunday before the weather turn cloudy more yet to be done this weekend.
    here my process so far, it not much i know i would had lot cut before the weather changed.
    IMAG0298.jpgIMAG0299.jpg
    got these wheels for all 3 of my featherweight
    IMAG0314.jpg

heres other robots that i've working on to

beetleweight:- Ronnie O'speedable
    IMAG0301.jpg the 1st part of the flipper arm
    IMAG0305.jpg IMAG0311.jpg flipper width sorted & placed in card prototype just need to cut middle bit out

2nd featherweight:- little white kitten or princess victoria (i haven't yet settled on a final name)
    IMAG0300.jpgIMAG0312.jpg the start of my 2nd robot just need to cut more parts out

I think that your feathers are too big, work on reducing the size

I second what the others have said, you'll learn so much from your first feather you can apply tot he others. Also it can be hard enough keeping one running, just have the 1 to learn what running a feather entails before you build more. And it does also look very large, my largest feather is 40x40cm.
    Last edited by Shakey; 19th March 2015 at 10:02.

Valkiri3 is W 660mm x L350 x H180, and that's not counting the disk. So I'm not going to comment on the size of other peoples machines.

I've finally got started on getting armour cut out & layout the internals. The robot was going to be a low pressure co2 flipper, but my sister was worried about me using pneumatic system while no experience in using co2. So I came up with the idea on running the flipper by a 12 -24v brushed motor on a chain & sprocket system style rack 'n' pinon. I am not going to weld a steel chassis due to having too much weight & won't have much thick armour no thicker than 5 - 6mm HDPE but am using 'L' shape steel brackets to give me 10mm HDPE armour.

Inside Layout
    Ravil Lamein electrical layout of motors & speed controllers, the 2x 12v drill motors placed at the back while will be powered by the drill 12v batteries & these drill 12v batteries will be only temporary for a few events as I trying to not spend too much. Also 2x speed controllers, the big speed controller in a 25amp sabretooth speed controller from Technobots will for the drive motors & smaller 12amp sabretooth speed controller again from Technobots will be for the weapon motor which is about 12 - 24v brushed motor.
    Attachment 7082 Attachment 7092 Attachment 7096

Armour
    I'm using 10mm HDPE plastic as armour, I'm also hoping that 10mm HDPE will take a lot of hit from spinner plus I'm planning to add 1mm steel or aluminium strips to cover the joints to stop spinners ripping off the armour easily. It's still not finished as I only cut the parts out & stood them up on the 1mm mild steel base, there may smaller due to the base is 500m in length by 450mm width & with a lot of space still left. You can see the shape of the due to all the cut out peace's how the robot will look. the front panel will be welded to be come one panel. It does look one set is smaller then the other, that's because I had my little nephew over night to give my sister & her husband time together, plus it was getting towords the end of the day so I was rushing to get every thing cut out ready for the next step.
    Attachment 7079Attachment 7078Attachment 7080Attachment 7084Attachment 7090Attachment 7088Attachment 7089Attachment 7091Attachment 7093Attachment 7095Attachment 7097

F
    lipper
    I forgot to put up the HDPE flipper cover, sadly I also didn't have time to made a wood version of the flipper arm & electric motor powered flipper mechanism. Once I get the wooden version of built, I'll show how it will work. Again I run out of time to get weapon parts cut out.

Motor mounts
    I only had time to get square shape 12mm HDPE motor mount for the drive motors & weapon motor. I've lay it out ready for me to turn them into motor mounts.
    Attachment 7083

Brackets & extra detail
    The 'L' shape bar will cut down into strips for the bolting on base & armour, this will also this is what the flipper arm will be built from. I've also got 1mm sheet steel for the flipper blade which help to keep the weight down also be interchangeable with different flipper blades. These along bit of 6mm steel bar which I'm thinking to use for the front under the flipper arm which will acts as a extra defence against spinner. This will change over next few weeks. I'm hoping to get it ready for Extreme Robots event in Maidstone in November.
    Attachment 7081 Attachment 7085

Register To Comment