Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lipo or NiMh

LiPos traditionally require greater care than NiMH to be used safely. I say traditionally because they are in fact perfectly safe if respected. You would need a charger capable of balance charging LiPos and you need to put them in a fire retardant bag to charge safely (readily available, search LiPo charging or protection bag). I believe the current ruleset doesn't require you to have metal under the pack, it's a recommendation.

The advantages are in bang for buck. LiPos are miles ahead of NiMH in both power output and capacity per gram for the same sort of money.

That said if your robot doesn't require the huge power LiPos can put out then you may as well use NiMH for now. They will make a nice upgrade later on. Meanwhile you can read up about them and how to treat them; everything you need to know is online.

I wouldn't recommend really really cheap LiPo packs (Hobbyking's Nano-tech and Zippy ranges for example), whilst popular they often perform under their supposed rated output. I have used regular Turnigy packs (also Hobbyking) and have found them to perform well, would recommend. The best for roboteers are probably Optipower batteries. I think FRA members still get a 30% discount with Opti making them competitively priced despite being high end.

A good first charger would be something like the Imax B6. You'll need a suitable power supply for it. Cheapest place to get a B6 is you guessed it, Hobbyking!

lipo all the way... for the weight saving and power alone id never use anything else

Team RCC went LiPo early, and the less expensive ones too boot. (I myself prefer the HK Zippies.)
    Even if they are "hobby amp rated", they do a good job in all our machines now.

Charger. Imax B6 is the basic charger. You can't go wrong with that one, as long you don't want to recharge large packs in 10 minutes.
    I believe most affordable 50W rated chargers just use the same basic technology, maybe repackaged with a 4 in 1 box, or with an extra LED to tell somebody something.

Roboteer

Of course there is always the alternative LiFe packs that are lighter than NiMH and not so prone to fire.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

The speed of charging with an Imax depends on set value, amount of cells and total watthours needed.

50W is the max the charger dan push. It will take 30 minutes to recharge a 6S 1000mAh battery from empty to almost full.
    (The complete balance cycle can take some time)

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Of course there is always the alternative LiFe packs that are lighter than NiMH and not so prone to fire.
    Have we ever had an actual Lipo fire with the current ruleset?

I believe the only way to have a LiPo fire with the current rules is with pure combat damage.

Anything else is wrong handling.

Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm View Post
    Have we ever had an actual Lipo fire with the current ruleset?

Other than that though, I don't think so.

Register To Comment