Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless and Ali armour

How would it be rated against hardox? I have the chance to get it cheap and get it cut to size but wonder if its worth going for if I can get it thick enough and in weight

Ali armor went out of fashion early 2000's.

Stainless is as good as mild steel, but a tad heavier and a lot more shiney.
    If you can get it cheap, it's an option.

On the other hand, it's like comparing cotton to kevlar

Stainless will be ok generally it's about half to 3/4 as hard as hardox. Ally is useless as armour forget it.

Mutes always had st/stl armor from year dot, weve added kevlar/Ti/Hardox to the bits that can get hit by axes but the sides are st/stl with HDPE on top, orginally it was st/stl with polycarb on top

Do you have a tig welder then Matt ? I don't and did have a few bits of stainless so had to bolt it on !

For the cost of hardox I could get the plates laser cut and welded so it's something to consider but don't know if it's better to look at HDPE for low costs or just go for it hardox but at quite a cost

It dose depend on the design of the robot. Mega Mouse uses Aluminium armour very well, with a Hardox or similar blade on the front.
    Cherub is made of steel armour not Hardox between 10 -5mm thick, and is so far impenetrable.
    Saint is rubber conveyor and 3mm arm400 Steel, wheels 12mm UHMWPE,
    Gabriel is 6.2mm armour steel at the front, and 20mm HDPE top and bottom wheels the same!
    none are weak as far as armour is concerned, also Beast has no armour to speak off and survives very well.
    do you have a picture of your design?

It's based off Omega/Yank that I have recently got hold of so will be chopped down and re-jigged a bit. Basically, flat haha

Big wheels quite high off the ground SS or HDPE should be ok

Register To Comment