Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relative power of different drive trains in comparison to each other

you want reliability as well, the cheap argos don't seem to last long, endevour uses 2 speed makita's on 14.4v i believe which are the same version as im going to use in Night fury 2, so on a 4s lipo with 100mm wheels should be able to do 15mph and have twice the power of the old drills, its predecessor used 12v ryobi drill which are still intact after 2 years of abuse and no maintenance but the motors did start to come loose from the gearboxes but they were easily tightened as far as the other motors i will have to leave that to others as i haven't used them

Perhaps the title should be 'How effective are these motors'. Just knowing what their power output is, is only part of a much more complicated equation: you will also need to factor in the voltage, gearing, tire coefficient of friction, speed and more. All that stuff is hard to work out, so I use these two resources:

http://architeuthis-dux.org/torquecalc.asp

http://www.enigmaindustries.com/EDTSim.htm

You can find extra motor specifications via Google or substitute generic motors from Johnson or Mabuchi for various drills. Past a certain point, it doesn't matter how powerful the motors are. Once the wheels break traction and spin, any extra power the motor might be able to produce is mostly (see below) irrelevant.

When looking at motor power output, most manufacturers quote the peak output in watts but fail to mention how long the motor can sustain that before overheating and failing. A larger motor with more power than you need provides a safety factor that makes it more reliable.

Out of that list, the Dewalt 18V is easily the most most powerful at 1,100 watts and the heavy construction and efficient fan means it can put out that peak power for longer than other motors. If I was going to design a pushy bot, I'd go with 18V new series Dewalts and the Dewut mounting kit; its a good balance of power, weight and reliability. Add some really grippy wheels and you have a a contender

robot market place have some nice dewalt kits. The US have been modding and using those motors for years.

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Is it true that the DeWalt motors fall apart if you take them out of the casings, and if so do you know a way round this?
    I am not sure what you mean by that - do you mean taking them out of the plastic drill shells? I wouldn't be surprised if the motor and gearbox separated when the drill is taken apart, but the motors are one self-contained unit and definitely don't come apart. There are some other DeWalt drills that have 'frameless' motors, which would probably fall apart when the drill is disassembled; these aren't the droids you're looking for . I would recommend getting the motors & gearboxes on-line from the RMP or somewhere similar.

@ Chris: not long to go for the testing - I just took a break from mounting the gearboxes and electronics.

Yes... Charles Guan has a DeWalt mounting kit for sale:
    http://e0designs.com/products/dewut-...gearmotor-kit/

Register To Comment