Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What not to do!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grant_ploughbot View Post
    but it's their duty to make multiple trips to go and see the arena designs and building throughout the process to make sure well in advance that there is a safe arena being produced, and if not call the show off. It's irresponsible not just because their insurances almost certainly won't cover anything,
    Multiple trips? to Australia? Irresponsible as it may be, if Jonno has a contract that states his company has no liability for the audience in the event of debris. - he doesn't have to cancel squat. Not legally his problem.

I know you are more of a moral man than that, Grant but you don't have the RW rights holders on your back either.

but with the robot wars brand being used we all fall under that image and so it has far greater effects on other organisers around the world to if they were just called roaming Robots. I think it's about due for another FRA meeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by marto View Post
    I stressed the importance of the arena in my contact with them but they obviously completely ignored that when they switched to RR. Is there anyway to get in contact with EO as I would like some sort of explanation as its the rest of us here in Aus which are going to get screwed if there is/was an incident.
    You could well ask for an FRA meeting at Gloucester but doesn't mean Jonno has to stick around for it. The fact that the public associates Robot Combat with Robot Wars isn't his technically concern either. Which means he can play footloose and fancy free with impunity, the public perception of your events.

Ceri, It won't matter, if a member of the public is badly injured or killed by a robot it will reach back to the insurance companies. And that will be that they will not insure any events. We all have the same responsibility for safety, wherever we are.

I could sign a contract that says I could go out and kill someone. Doesn't mean that I won't be held liable for my actions if I followed through.

In my eyes if someone were to be injured or killed this would fall under gross negligence which would be a willful disregard for the safety of those in the audience. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on to defend yourself as the rules are well stated here and have been previously followed with regards to arena standards.

The event should have never taken place. If that is the arena that's been provided then you don't run the event until a proper arena is in place.

Completely missed the point of my post. Thanks. Yes, every person has a responsibility to Health & Safety. I'm not for anybody waiving responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    You wouldn't have a leg to stand on to defend yourself as the rules are well stated here and have been previously followed with regards to arena standards.
    The arena rules on this site aren't legally binding though.
    Legally, they are recommendations of safety under threat of the volunteers not turning up. Doesn't mean anyone has to obey them.

Legally, there is nothing the FRA can do to stop this happening anywhere. The ball is entirely in Jonno's court.

Unless Robot Combat was listed as a sport by Sport England with the FRA listed as an official national body.

yeah you're right, what was the point of your post?

Legally, there is nothing the FRA can do to stop this happening anywhere.
    Last edited by psychostorm; 5th October 2014 at 19:38.

8. Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm View Post
    Completely missed the point of my post. Thanks. Yes, every person has a responsibility to Health & Safety. I'm not for anybody waiving responsibilities.

The arena rules on this site aren't legally binding though.
    Legally, they are recommendations of safety under threat of the volunteers not turning up. Doesn't mean anyone has to obey them.

Legally, there is nothing the FRA can do to stop this happening anywhere. The ball is entirely in Jonno's court.

Unless Robot Combat was listed as a sport by Sport England with the FRA listed as an official national body.
    The thing is that the FRA rules are insured, and all of is EO's state to our insurance con pairs that we follow the GRa rules and arena safety guildlines to be able to get insurance. So it is legally binding in that respect.

With regards to going to Australia multiple times, we had to go to Abu Dhabi 3 times before hand, and they came to us twice to inspect the arena and see how it all works and gets setup. Alan has also been to Singapore to check the arena being built for his event later in the month. It's all well and good to accept a job because they offer you a decent amount of money, but if they don't have the extra money to pay for making sure the event is safe then we always have to turn it down.

Also, whoever's insurance is being used at that event, the insurance company will always look for who's responsible. That will always track back to the "experts" on that field which regardless of what anyone says will be Jonno. I'm really not trying to jump on the situation or make things worse, but these are the things we need to consider every week at Robo Challenge now and it only takes one case of negligence to destroy our business and years of hard work, aswel as someone else's life.

10. I'm rather thankful the India incident didn't make it beyond the community

Register To Comment