Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "£50" Heavyweight

Roboteer

I would think that this rule may prove a problem with this weapon type.

12.2.1 Entanglement Entanglement devices such as nets, fishing line, cables, string, glues or tapes, which require the match to be stopped and the robots separated. (If this occurs the ‘entangler’ forfeits the match)
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010
    Team Champions ( Team Barbie) 2011

Having asked a few people, the general consensus is that seeing as the nuts will only be a few kilos, and it'll rotate at about 60rpm, it's probably less dangerous than just a robot driving into another. if anyone's seen the fleaweight one fight, it looks ferocious when spun up, but does absolutely nothing when it hits; it looks good for the crowds but is in no way effective :P

The entanglement rule was discussed for the fleaweight version, and it was agreed that the weapon is not intended for entanglement so was fine. The flails on the heavy version would be proportionally much small than on the fleaweight one, so entanglement would be less likely. Plus, it's unlikely to stay in the arena long enough to entangle anything :P

The bigger concern was making sure the nuts stay on no matter what, as the flippers plus a loose nut may cause trouble. As I say, I'm planning to have several cables and chains attaching them, so that if one breaks, it stays attached till the end of the fight when it can be repaired.
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 15th March 2015 at 12:12.

Ok, it's the Easter holidays so we finally have some progress! However I only have a very limited time as Richie's in the champs, I'm away after Saturday, and back at uni after the champs, so only have this week to build a heavyweight and get Richie ready.
    Started work on the chassis on yesterday, as I spent Monday doing some upgrades to the controller and building Richie's new one.

WP_20150331_004.jpg

Starting with an old elevator frame as a source of most of the steel, I spent the first day just putting together the basic frame and motor mounts.

I finished fitting the motors and welded the frame together by lunch time today which resulted in the rolling chassis:

WP_20150401_001.jpg

I then fitted the battery holders and wedged in the electronics for a quick test:

(I really wanted to hit the car... may have to do another video of that once it's finished :L)

It's pretty ridiculous.. which is good as that was always the plan :P Spins nice and quick, so should look pretty spectacular once the flails are fitted.

Took the electronics back out, added some extra cross bracing and fitted the armour. This is where I've got to now:

11128507_10152740899616845_317368773920997859_o.jpg

Just needs a bit more bracing and then the main body is done. Still need to fit the outer ring and flails, but with any luck I can get all that done tomorrow and make this a 3 day build, though I still don't know what steel I'm using for the ring as it has to be pretty solid.

Currently weighs around 65kg, so hopefully the ring and flails'll bring it up.. If not I'll just have to keep adding more bracing and armour
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 1st April 2015 at 23:20.

Big Nuts entered the arena for the first time on Sunday, albeit without any flails fitted. It was incredibly entertaining to drive despite not actually doing much yet. I put it in for the last melee of each show, however the link wasn't in properly for the second one and fell out almost immediately in the second show (another thing added to the to-do list), so only really got oned fight. It spent it's time barrel rolling, somersaulting and spinning around in a suitably odd fashion, but it all seemed to work fine and didn't get stuck on it side as I thought it might (until one of the battery packs came disconnected towards the end), and managed not to catch fire or go crazily out of control or anything like that.

This was really it's first test after being completed properly, as I'd blown the ESC whilst trying things out with the circuits shortly after the first test video above, and didn't get around to fixing it until I was back at uni so had no where to test it until the show.

After fitting the ring around it and yet more bracing, I got the weight up to 83Kg, but am hoping to bring it closer to 100 with the addition of the flails and maybe a bit more armour. I think the total cost up to this point is getting close to £50 (I bought a few nuts and bolts and a few extra connectors at some point), but still not over budget yet!

It'll hopefully be running at Portsmouth next weekend in much the same state as it's in now as I can't fit the flails until I'm back home for the summer holidays. Hopefully will get it in a few more fights and find any more bugs that need ironing out.

It's good fight feature's in Harrys video of the event about 31 mins in:

Last edited by Rapidrory; 20th April 2015 at 19:05.

Register To Comment