Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Riptide Beetleweight Chronicles

If you're talking about the motors you got from me they're 12v so they probably would be fine at 4s, even if they burn out the spares on ebay are dirt cheap and readily available. If you ever need a link to spares give me a shout.

Ahh that's alright then! Cheers haha

They seem big enough to take 4s reasonably well to be honest, but wouldn't want to blow them up straight away!

They should be fine for a few minutes at a time, I think the rule is motors are "safe" to be overvolted by 1.5 ttimes their nominal voltage, so those 12v ones should be okay up to 18v theoretically

So I took apart my old PS3 and did a few minor modifications to the fan on it, seems to work pretty nicely and I think I might use this for something beetle-ey. Don't think it's got enough power for a feather or anything. Might still be too heavy for a beetle though too so need to double check the lot...

And that's all of today's progress, would you believe. Productive as always!

Seeing the (albeit brief clips of) Beetleweights at this weekend's event has made me get a little bit inspired to start the beetleweights again, I've given up on anything too extravagant for now (I have no tools) so I'm going to build a mini HardWired 2 out of Hardox. Because, you know, hardox is too legit and whatnot.

It's going to serve the same purpose as its featherweight counterpart, in that it should be a supposedly low maintenance drive-all-day brick that will always be able to fight. Might end up doing a Beetleweight vertical bar spinner too at some point, but I'll see after this one's done. Previous plans were faaaaaaar too ambitious considering my skillset so I'm reeling it in a bit!

But yeah, basic plan is to make this entire thing out of 3.2mm hardox/stainless base, welded, and magnets on the bottom. It'll be tiny as well, which is why I'll be able to get it in weight hopefully. Was playing about with the idea of brushless drive, but I'll just stick with the 1000rpm Beetle motors that everyone loves, maybe on 4s or something. Characteristically huge battery too.

Will get sketches up soon where I can, but just imagine HardWired 2 but smaller and more poorly made, and that's not far off

Sorry to shut you down already but hardox isn't allowed as armour to keep things interesting (for active weapon users)

Just make it out of Stainless or Ti, you could go for pretty damn thick Ti if it's as small as i'm thinking.

Is it not? I keep hearing alternating things haha

Even if it is, I might just make one out of Hardox anyway and occasionally run it in whiteboards, I wanted to almost perfectly scale down HW2's relative idiotic-ness.

Thick ti would be possible, but expensive, that's the problem haha. It will be tiny though, so much so it'd probably almost pass for an antweight if my current calculations are right... It'll be tiny compared to the rest of the beetles, that much is for sure!

Think u can still use carbon steel/tool steel

Register To Comment