Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding Titanium

At work we dont ever heat titanium to bend it, and its perfectly possible to bend it at 1.2mm thick using a proper bender, but having said that for your application heating it will make your life much easier and the effects of heating are negligible for our use...

Looking at the design, the corner seams need welding so you might as well weld everything. Its really hard to get that tab & slot construction to line up properly when you are bending a frame like that, making welding even more attractive.

With hot bending, I am only going on what the manufacturer recommends - they just mention that scale may form after heat bending and to remove it; nothing about inert atmospheres. As I understand it, you only need gas if the Ti is molten, which is a much higher temperature. Everyone using titanium should memorise that linked manual - its good stuff!

On Mr Mangle, I bent these 4mm brackets with a vice, an adjustable wrench and a torch you'd get from any hardware store:

It was quick & easy, although better equipment would have given a bit better result.

The Tabs are there because that is the welding version. its that shape I am trying to create. If were to bend it I would make a netted version with the same geometry. Thats just gives you an idea of what I am trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Attachment 4663

That is the new chassis design so the longest folds would be 238mm long. There are a lot of long fold in the build if you were to do it like that and they all meet at sharp corners.
    Cough*storm 2*cough
    Looks really solid tho

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Masher View Post
    Cough*storm 2*cough
    Looks really solid tho
    Seriously? So if I had 4WD would you complain it was a Tornado copy? You try and come up with making an effective rambot that doesn't look like either machine that has 6 or 4WD.

Aside from that, storm 2 is slightly longer than it is wide in my memory.

Most designs have been done before in varying degrees of succes.
    Coming up with something completely new or different is quite difficult and often not the best way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Seriously? So if I had 4WD would you complain it was a Tornado copy? You try and come up with making an effective rambot that doesn't look like either machine that has 6 or 4WD.
    Satanix and BonX say: Who needs 4 or 6 wheels?

Storm 2 would be more effective as a rambot if it had spikes on the top to stop it's opponent going over the top and puttin all the energy into it's opponent (well, not all, but the theory's still good).

I am using the same 1000rpm gearbox/motor combos from ebay as everyone else. I am not sure of a single machine besides Gonzales that doesn't. The 6WD will give it the advantage there as everyone uses the same motors.

Register To Comment