Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: clarification on rules

My opinion is simple if it can't fight for example it can't get to the other robot, then it is immobilised. Why "put in a robot" that doesn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by craig_colliass View Post
    My opinion is simple if it can't fight for example it can't get to the other robot, then it is immobilised. Why "put in a robot" that doesn't work?
    I think at the champs you get point for just getting into the arena, if you don't put in the robot you get zero.

Yes you are right and it is in the FRA rules. I am surprised.

Perhaps it should read enter the arena with a working robot

If I had a machine with one wheel running I'd throw it in the arena. If you have only had 20 min since your last fight and haven't got the machine repaired in time then throw it in. Worst case, you lose, best case, opponent breaks down and you take the win because you can still move.

Hi Gary

I think the point of discussion is that, your robot can't do the figure of eight thing, at the end of the fight, if it can't do it at the beginning.

Here is the quote from the rules.
    "judges may require that both competitors demonstrate that their robots work
    correctly by performing a figure eight movement covering at least half the arena length and that their
    weapons, where fitted still work."

With craig on this... if a robot cant move properly whats the point.. I always test my drive when i put the link in by giving it a little blip on the tx left, right, forward and back so i'm happy with it before the fight... then i drive to the other side of the arena while others are arming up, or stay put if im the last to arm... if your not capable of that i see it as the fight being a waste of time...especially considering that your likely to get judged on its failings at the end of the fight.

I dunno, I went in to a losers' melee with one wheel working and won. I only had 15-20 minutes for repairs and it wasn't enough to get the problem repaired (compared to 1+ hour repair time for my opponents). But not being counted out allowed me to progress in the competition. I personally don't think it's a waste of a fight; if my fully-mobile opponents cannot defeat a handicapped robot then that's their problem, and the crowd usually get a kick out of the underdog making it through.

Craig, the figure of eight rule only really applies if it's an extremely close judges' decision. So not being able to do the figure of eight at the start shouldn't lead to that robot being counted out as the handicapped robot can still take the win through its opponent beating itself/driving in the pit etc.

The only way it can be fair to count a robot out right from the start due to only having one wheel is if all robots have equal repair time. Otherwise I think you should be allowed to fight and let the battle take its course. No match involving a one-wheeled robot is a foregone conclusion.

For what it's worth, I think a figure of 8 is asking a heck of a lot. Driving forward or backward somewhat straight should be enough, which is all you need to be competitive. If a drive side is completely dead the robot won't go at all straight - easy to judge. I wonder if I could pull off a satisfactory 8 even with our fairly controllable 4WD machines working well.

Hi interesting points raised in this discussion. even with the views expressed I am inclined to still stick with the basic premiss, the robot should be able to move in a controlled manner (I don't consider even with my bad driving skills a figure of eight to be excessive), and ideally the weapon should be operating as designed at the start of the fight.

Hi Jamie
    With regard to the repair time I sympathise with your situation, but I don't think this is a good enough reason to dismiss the first point.
    The only practical solution I can see would be for there to be a minimum time between fights for charging and repair enshrined in the rules, I would think 30-45 minutes.
    Also I am glad you won with just one drive wheel, but again I don't think you would disagree with me the rules should not be shaped around the occasional fluke!

I feel it should be up to the drivers discretion if they choose to enter. If they wish to enter a fight with one wheel working or no weapon then so be it, but its likely they will loose. I don't feel there should be rules put in place to stop drivers from fighting if they wish.

Register To Comment