Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brushless drive ESC

By all means prove me wrong but there's a good reason that CNC machines have feedback on the axis. It's not that you can't keep good position with a stepper motor, but it's to ensure that if steps are missed or there's backlash, the system can still travel the correct distance. Different application, different motor, same idea.

Challenge accepted.

I've been looking at brushless drive too (Mr Mangle inspired me!) My biggest concern right now though is finding ESCs that will have good Fwd/Rev response, most truck ESCs have braking or a delay.

All brushless esc's have a delay, even the sensored ones. You can't trow a brushless in reverse like a brushed motor. It has to be stopped. The only thing you can have is a minimal delay.

It will take a lot of practise to get the best from the new tech.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    By all means prove me wrong but there's a good reason that CNC machines have feedback on the axis. It's not that you can't keep good position with a stepper motor, but it's to ensure that if steps are missed or there's backlash, the system can still travel the correct distance. Different application, different motor, same idea.
    You're right different application, different motor. Which is why this doesn't apply. CNC machines keep feedback because they need precision to fractions of a millimeter, a fighting robot does not, no matter how expert a driver your 'precision' does not warrant such control. Back EMF is a perfectly good way of measuring the motor. This isn't some few hundred steps a millimeter stepper motor, this is a brushless that probably has around 10-30 poles. The feedback in a fighting robot is not position tracking but ensuring that the motor RPM and ESC timing match to sustain torque. If you want position tracking in your robot feel free to drive with stepper motors.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    All brushless esc's have a delay, even the sensored ones. You can't trow a brushless in reverse like a brushed motor. It has to be stopped. The only thing you can have is a minimal delay.

It will take a lot of practise to get the best from the new tech.
    If there is a delay on my brushless drives, its too short to detect. I also find that the sensored brushless drives have better torque and control at low speeds than the brushed system I was using. Perhaps a short video will convince the doubters? There are also few problems with the sensors being delicate. The sensors are three small surface-mount hall switches on a well protected PCB; the only thing I worry about is the sensor cable and its tiny connectors.

BTW: the 2nd Hobbyking ESC mentioned looks ideal to me; I have two of the 150A controllers on the way for testing.

I tried the NTM28-36 motors. Start torque ain't what is needed. It drives, but not what we want.

What gear ratio did you use? With sensorless motors, you need plenty of reduction and/or a fairly large motor. By comparison the 540 size sensored motors I use have very similar performance to drill motors.

There is some testing I did with NTM 42-38 with a 12:1 gearbox (video description is wrong), 15kg of steel dumped on top.

I'm hoping to have some 19:1 gearboxes shortly to test with to see if the start up torque is enough to smoke the tires

Register To Comment