Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After some details of SLA weights and stuff

I think 2 hawkers are around 10kg the pair. You are better to run a paid of 12v batteries to give the 24v. If you are looking to add weight just add tons of packs, a bot with 4 SLA's (2 for each motor) would run for a pretty long time

That's what I used before and worked fine. They are sealed units with acid (Hence the name lead ACID battery)

There is no rules that they you can't use them, not commonly used now as they are quite old tech and not the most efficient in power delivery but still make a HW run

Hi

5.72Kg each I just weighed one, so 11.44Kg. I have only just stopped using SLA batteries in my robots. They proved reliable and cheep, I used an ordinary car battery charger to recharge at shows for years they worked fine. these are the 16Ah type.

Woha, some pointers.

Do you know if they're literally sealed for life, if I need to fill them up with water
    For the robots we need Sealed Lead Acid batteries, but not with liquid filling. Gelcells (were the acid is an very thick ooze) or AGM Cells (glassmatt fiber as retainer for the acid) are mandatory, since the start of Robot Wars.

The following battery types can be used without any specific precautions although care must be taken when
    any battery particularly during charging:
     Pb (Sealed Lead Acid, SLA), non-spillable gel type. (e.g. Yuasa, Hawker)

Imagine a liquid acid battery springing a leak during a fight. I don't want to clean up that mess.

Weight of SLA batteries. A 7 to 9 ah SLA battery (PBQ was our favorite brand, cheap and dependable) weights around 2.8 kg.
    Hawkers come in so many flavers it's difficult to give a weight, but the cheaper genesis (rebranded Yuasha) sets are about the same. The High End pure lead technologies are a tad lighter for watts stored. But the pricetag gets high fast.

Weight of a heavyweight
    2.1 Weight classification
    Heavyweight: 55kgs to 100kgs [220lbs]

Register To Comment