Register To Comment
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LYNX Beetleweight

I made a BW with a lawn mower blade a while back, exactly the same as that. Struggled with weight and a good fixing on the blade. though.
    New one uses a smaller SS bar.

You might want to rotate the bar. The way your holding it now will generate lift

Cheers guys, it was an awesome find and it does at least look the part, PJ is that Spinza that you were referring too? i'll be going the same route as harry went for Massacre for the mounting the bar i.e a hollow shaft with the link out the top and the blade mounted to a pulley with a bearing in. The only problem i can see at the moment is the motor, i don't see the point of trying to fit a right angle gearbox in a robot of this size/weight so i'll have to try and find a motor that 1) is lower than 50mm and 2) is powerful enough to spin the blade up quickly. This looks ideal but not sure about how good they actually are http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I won't be buying it any time soon just looking atm, and no it's an outrunner it just has a very narrow can

I've decided on the weapon motor after a very long and tedious search http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14736 new stock is currently "in transit" to the hobbyking uk warehouse so hopefully it will be in stock when i come to buy it. The shaft will be cut down from 24mm to 18mm which will make the motor 45mm high. Just going by the specs it seems like a hefty little motor, i'll be running the bar on a 2.5:1 reduction at 3s which will give it an overall theoretical speed of 5772rpm but with losses more like 5000 although i doubt i'll run it at full speed very often.

That should do the job well. 420w at 3s from an 88g motor is quite the figure. Am also interested.

What model battery are you looking at using?

Unsure on the battery at the moment, having never used lipos i can't go from experience. I was thinking about getting a Turnigy Nano tech as they're none too expensive and some have quite a good C rating.

They do look good on paper but I have heard from several that the nanotech series' ratings are wildly over the truth. I think Gary used them last year in his feather and was disappointed. I have used the regular Turnigy packs (second hand!) but having never had them in a high power bot can't really comment on their performance. I can say confidently that they are batteries.

The packs from Component-shop seem to be quite good, and although pricey Optipower are the real deal. You can get a roboteer's discount to soften the blow with them.

Register To Comment