Register To Comment

Thread: Alternative drive motors (speed 900's)

Hey guys,

Just chasing up on something for a project I'm working on. Now that S900's aren't being made anymore because of the batch order issues, are there any equivalent alternatives? I'm looking for something with plenty of power to drive a 6WD machine and all the clones I've seen don't look particularly beefy. Would it just be a case of going for drills/Gimson's or is there anything out there with more power?

Cheers
    Jack

I have a pair of Johnson 51mm motors that seem to work pretty nicely power-wise (albeit in a 2WD rammer), I think they're very similar power-wise to the Graupners, just faster and need gearing down a bit more. Drills seem to work well though, Ricochet used 6 GR01s and that seemed to have plenty enough power!

Of course, there's always brushless too, but that's not been used quite as much in combat for drives, so it's a bit more of a grey area by comparison...

Dewalts.

I personally run 18V New Style Dewalts with the e0 Designs "DeWut" 3-speed kits. They give you the option to switch between 3 speeds (very quickly without dismantling) and gives you the option to run the Dewalt 12v, 14.4v or 18v motors, which are pretty beefy and have plenty of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Captured View Post
    Of course, there's always brushless too, but that's not been used quite as much in combat for drives, so it's a bit more of a grey area by comparison...
    Sounds interesting. Are there any examples of this being used in a machine? On paper that could be quite good.

Cheers for the DeWalt links too, will check that out.

Nick (Overkill) drove Mr Mangle in this years champs with sensored brushless motors mated to some planetary gearboxes, it worked rather well! Calliope (Maddox's new machine) also will be running on brushless too.
    There are other machines to have used it too but I can't remember them...

Have a look here: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...+motor+options
    Its not been mounted on the robot yet, so as such its still untested, but testing it on the bench it looks promising.
    Only drawback I can think of is gearboxes ( I had to build my own )

Register To Comment