Register To Comment

Thread: a team of sorts (Ivanhoe)

Okay so it's been a fair while since I've been actively attending events/building machines. Now exams are starting again it seems the optimum time to rectify that

Quick team update: Because I'm getting older now and starting to strike out on my own, it's slowly moving away from a family orientated team. I've got a few tool savvy mates helping me build things now (none of which are called Orr which makes me more than a little conscious of the team name - whoops) which is a real help. 4 teenagers in a shed isn't exactly military grade precision but I have seen a definite increase in the stuff we have made so far.

Anyway, so the possible sale of my heavyweight escapades should free up some space/time/funds to focus on where I really want to take the team now - featherweights. I've got a couple a jokey ideas I want to put together for a laugh (Afrobot - watch this space) but also one or two for something vaguely sort-of competitive. I'm thinking something low and solid with silly power in the drive but also some sort of flipper/lifter ALA Storm 2 or Biohazard. More on that soon I guess.

I've also got some feathers that I bought a while ago, including several half built chassis' (Prodigy, The original Satanix and a mini-maelstrom themed thing alex built yonks back). I'm probably going to be parting with those/using them as target practice. I also have Pure Evil which we definitely intend to get running as it's a mean machine. Put a couple of holes in Harry's biscuit tin thing at Aylesbury a few years back before conking out. There's a few pictures below.

20140418_215143.jpg20140418_215130.jpg

Also got a few questions.

. Does anybody have any suggestions for drive motors possibly on the higher end of drills? Looking for 4WD so something like Speed 900's going through some sort of gear/belt arrangement?

. What's the general consensus on Sabertooth controllers nowadays? I have one or two kicking around but don't know if they would be powerful enough to control the aforementioned motors.

. Where would i go about purchasing Hardox (roughly 4/5mm) and would anybody be willing to fabricate to spec if i sourced material/payed for time and postage etc?

hope to see you guys around soon (aiming to have something for Guildford)
    Jack

Speed 900's aren't made any more so are VERY hard to get hold of, there are the mfa 800/850 motors or Caldercraft 900 motors but they're not as good, still probably powerful enough though.

With Sabertooths it depends on individual experience, having never used one i couldn't say but the general consensus seems to be that they break/go up in smoke, tz85's really are the standard now but if you already have Sabertooths lying around i don't see the harm in using them for now.

Mario is always good for Hardox, i know plenty of roboteers (including myself) who have had things made by him. He does get very busy though as you can imagine but his work is fantastic quality, always very quickly made and the advice he offers is second to none.

Congrats on the team-diversification and growth.

Several remarks

Speed 900's are getting very rare, and a lot of roboteers are looking for them , as their machines use those.
    I'm talking/working on a 1 on 1 replacement, but it's looking to get expensive. Forget the current speedo's, that's for sure.

What brings me to Sabertooths. Maybe that a 60 amp one can digest a Speed 900, but the rest won't love the combination.
    A Sabertooth 25A combined with drill/GR02 drives looks the best bet for now.
    Team RCC didn't use them, so, no experience there. And with speed 900's, up to 4S a robotpower Scorpion XXL can do the job, but over that, it will struggle.
    The TZ85's are the new standard, and those happely provide power to any motor up to 6S 80 amps (more than a standard series 3 heavy)

P&P from Belgium to anywere is hidious... But here an example of what we do with Hardox 450 3.2mm thin.

Register To Comment