Register To Comment

Thread: The 'Figure 8' rule for melty brain spinners

I was discussing this with a few people at the championships after it was used to finalise one of the judges decisions after a close match - if a robot were to use translational drift (melty brain spinners) or gyroscopic forces (Tip-Top from Robot Wars) to move across the arena floor, since I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to use your weaponry to move and with it being integral to movement, would this be classed as an automatic failure of the demonstration, even if your robot was in perfect working condition? Likewise if you were just a terrible driver and literally couldn't do a decent figure 8 even with a working machine (like myself) would that also be considered a fail if your machine was otherwise still in perfect working order? I do realise that the fight it was used to judge had 720 with only had one side of the drive operational, but it wasn't allowed to use the gyroscopic forces of the drum to drive like it had been in the fight - I know that counts for damage, but was more interested on what would happen if you only had one driven wheel anyway or something, like with Meltys or gyroscopic drives like Tip Top...

I don't wish to bring up any controversy or anything from the battle in question, just this was a thought I had when discussing it in the pits. I don't think the situation is particularly likely to arise any time soon (most of these methods of drive are quite niche and difficult to do as far as I'm aware, and it's rare that there's such a close match anyway) but I was just curious as to what the official stance was on it, should it ever occur.
    Last edited by Flag Captured; 16th April 2014 at 21:39.

From what i recall Dave was never told he couldn't use the drum when demonstrating he could drive around the pit, it was just assumed that he couldn't because somebody was in the arena at the time.

I think this could be solved relatively easy by just not having anyone inside the arena when the robots are being tested. At the end of the match the judges could request a drive test around the pit quickly, if both robots pass, robots are then powered down and the judges can enter the arena and inspect the robots up close to make final decisions.

The tiptop style drive system could still work even at low RPM (You don't need to spin it up to full speed) and I know my two wheel Melty was able to translate at around 100RPM if needed (the one wheel version couldn't though).

That's true, suppose that could be done. The rules don't say anything other than the robots having to perform a figure 8, which is the reason I asked - I guess you could assume that you are allowed to use weaponry to move if that is the case. I know in that particular battle that the broken/stopped drive motor on 720 counted against it for damage, but it's still an interesting point...

That's the thing with a one wheeled melty too I suppose - assuming you can't spin up to test, you're considered immobile for only having one drive wheel and can't move in a straight line. Perhaps it's just interpreted on a case-by-case basis dependent on mobility systems of each robot...

Quote Originally Posted by mrsam View Post
    From what i recall Dave was never told he couldn't use the drum when demonstrating he could drive around the pit, it was just assumed that he couldn't because somebody was in the arena at the time.
    ^ this.

Turns out if you need to. You can use your weapon to prove you can move. I think the fra need to clarify this rule as some people cant drive in a figure of 8 at the best of times.

Hopefully this can be clarified without causing a big debate.

Register To Comment