Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clusterbots

I've got a few ideas coming up for machines I'm wanting to build in the future, and a pretty prominent one has been that of a clusterbot - are these still legal in most arenas, for both Feathers and Heavies?

Whilst I know there's nothing in the rules that say otherwise, I'm just thinking from the perspective of how powerful some of these flippers are now - I'd hate to build a set of 50kg/6.3kg robots (or even lower?) and end up being flipped literally out of the arena and causing a pretty major safety concern... I know the roofs aren't that low, but I don't know how half-weight robots would react to that kind of flip

Course, I am aware of the drawbacks to having a clusterbot, this is just speaking from a health and safety 'is it allowed in the first place' point of view!

Thanks in advance

I don't think they are banned in either but you wouldn't want to run a cluster heavy as they would get some serious air. I expect most heavy event organisers would say no as they could escape the arena. Feathers on the other hand should be fine in the Robochallange arena, just watch out for the floor flipper in a heavyweight arena, but I will let the EO's confirm.

Tricky one. Featherweights, I don't see an issue, heavyweights there probably will be. We've already had heavies nearly touching the roof on "double flips", a 50kg machine I think would get thrown out from anywhere in the arena. I personally wouldn't allow one in our arena with one of the big flippers, which is going to restrict what fights you can enter.
    Last edited by blazerbotics; 8th March 2014 at 18:59.

In the Robo Challenge arena there would be no issues with a featherweight clusterbot.

I thought not with heavies... the particular fight I remember seeing was Manta vs Eruption in the European Championships, and that ended up having plenty of lift for a double flip, and that was 100 kilos, with half the weight I could probably see there being a lot of an issue.

Glad to hear it's alright for the Robochallenge arena though, may pursue that route with a featherweight clusterbot somewhere down the line!

Would it be the polycarbonate roof (of the sort that'd be needed to make an arena spinner-friendly) that would be needed for a heavy clusterbot to be usable, or is it just generally the height of the arenas that'd prevent them being used, even if there were a solid roof on there?

There is a minimum weight for heavys now, 55kg, so you can't build a hw cluster without it being 10kg overweight.

Nope Jarvis . The rules say a cluster has to be seen as 1 machine. In theory you could enter the arena with a cluster of 800 125gram ants.

And the problem here isn't the robot being not allowed in the rules, but arena's not good enough and EO being safety concious.

We have seen V3 in the Dutch series. And it was fun...

Register To Comment