Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Rear Wing Control System. Help Needed

First off a quick introduction,
    Although I'm not a builder of robots myself I am very interested in the operation and controls of electronic actuators. I'm a mechanical engineer (in training) living in Dublin in my final year of my course and I'm midway through completing my thesis project which I hope some of you here can help me with.

In order for those interested to understand the idea behind this project the following text is required so apologies for the long read. I'm sure some of you will get bored half way through and I don't blame you as its very wordy!

So the title of my project is "The Design and Construction of an Active Rear Wing for an Alfa Romeo Touring Car".
    The active wing system system is for a 3.2l V6 Alfa Romeo 155 touring car that will eventually be used in the Irish Touring Car Championship. As said before the project is for my final year in college and it will all be designed and built by myself. The wing will be moved by two GL-750s Linear Actuators (with 50mm of travel) which are mounted in the boot vertically. These are connected to the wing by link rods which change the wings angle of attack. The wing is required to have three preset positions A, B and C.

Postion A is the Low Drag DRS position at which the wing is at 1 degrees of attack. This will give optimum straight line speed.

Position B is the High Downforce position at which the wing is located at 15-18 degrees of attack. This will give optimum levels of downforce while cornering.

Position C is the High Drag Air Brake position which creates maximum drag in order to slow the car while under braking.

So the idea is that the wing will move to these various positions semi automatically, I have an ideal system that sounds fairly straight forward in theory but I am really lost as to how the electrics will work so I am open to any ideas or suggestions.
    As said earlier the system uses two actuators which must work in sync. The actuators been used have no feedback or limit switches as standard so these need to be incorporated externally. They will run off the cars 12v battery which is also located in the boot.

Position B will be the wings home position as such.
    The steering wheel has a single push button which the driver pushes when he comes onto a straight section of track. This then activates the actuators to move to position A.
    When the driver comes to the end of the straight he then brakes as usual. The brake lights will then override the button control and activate the wing to move to position C which slows the car before the corner. Once the driver takes his foot off the pedal the wing then moves back to its home position.

I know its not a simple theory so at the moment i would be happy just to get some sort of control on the wing and then move from there. I really would appreciate any feedback or advice. Some lectures have mentioned the use of Arduino hardware but I have no experience with this.

The plan is to have the wing built in the next few weeks and then from there i will move onto the electonic controls

Thanks for taking an interest and making it to the end of this!

Below is a basic design although no link rods are shown here.

Thanks again
    Peter

If you use an Arduino or something similar, you might be able to use accelerometers to automate the wing; one sensor could detect sideways motion to move between positions A & B. a second sensor could detect deceleration to move to position C. The nice thing about that is you could get proportional control with little driver input needed.

Another thought; with two actuators it would be quite easy for them to get further & further out of sync if one of them ran just a bit slower than the other, leading to damage or lock-up. If you use an Arduino, you can use one limit switch to set a home position and a rotary encoder on each actuator to make sure they are in sync and get full proportional control, which seems like a good idea for braking.

I couldn't find the actuators on Google, do you have a link for them?

As a pure mechanical guy I can construct a relay-switch based setup, but I fear it will fill the trunk.

No, the arduino sounds like the best bet. And Nicks comment are spot on.

To get perfect sync, use 2 encoders , or even good quality potmeters that measure the axle position of the wing-pivots.

If the idea of measuring acceleration in 2 dimensions is workable, you can even have the wing, if it's flexible enough, torque to have more or less downforce at each side. You could even go further, and do the same with the front spoiler.

I was thinking about an encoder on the wing itself but the what if the actuator on the far side ran at a different rate? It would still twist the wing and you'd never know. With just one actuator it would be fine.

I wonder if an actuator will move fast enough to position the wing in race conditions? The heavy duty actuators I have seen are pretty slow and race conditions change very quickly. They would be the simplest off-the-shelf parts to use but if they don't deliver, they aren't worth anything.

Another place to look for parts might be in the CNC world. A servo motor and an ACME threaded rod or ball screw would move much faster and servo motors usually have an encoder built in. Looking back at Peter's original description, the system already uses pushrods up to the wing, so I would look at a nut up on the wing with a short length of screw and then a rotation shaft down the the trunk. More effort to make, but fewer moving parts, probably lighter and it could move the wing much faster.

Another limitation is the 12V supply; no over-volting anything to get more speed or torque.

Encoders all the way only way to be sure on the sync of the motors,all other option wouldn't have fine enought control to have the wing perfectly square . Also you can then have the wing linked to the Speedo so it adjust continuesly with the vehicles speed

The 12 volt supply ain't an issue. Replace the extra lead battery with a LiPo pack of the same weigth, and a 6s psck is cheap and rechargable with a equaly cheap and light charger that happely will use the on board 12volt supply.

But yes, you're right Nick, a normal linak is artritic slow for this purpose.

With only 3 positions I see a solution with 4 solenoids.
    How fast is an Arduino? The speed of a mosfet is known and more than fast enough.
    This also solves the sync issue.

An Arduino is defiantly fast enough. You can make it output its readings at up to 115'200 per second. Making it do that process actually slows it down so if you take it out it will cycle through the code as fast as it can.

I would say lock it to either 2400, 4800 or 9600 Baud depending on how accurate you want to be. It is far harder to diagnose issue as high baud rates so make life easy on yourself and go for something manageable then crank it up in the future if you need to.

Some Arduino boards are faster than others; I have never used them but there are ARM 32 bit Arduinos with serious processing power like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11589

I don't know if solenoids would have the power to shift the wing while the car is in motion - I recall hearing that F1 car wings generated enough down-force to allow the cars to drive upside down, so a touring car wing must generate hundreds of Kg of down-force.

Register To Comment