Register To Comment
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheels for drill-gearboxes?

Hi Ollie, and welcome!

It's been a while since I've tried to fit UNF nuts into wheels, and I've never tried it with those particular wheels, but I don't think they will fit as they are. You may need to either heat up the UNF nut with something substantial, like a blowtorch, and press them in (with the heat melting the plastic around the nut, and which will harden when it cools) or drill out the hole in the middle of the wheel to a more suitable diameter and then press (via a hammer) the nuts in that way. You should be able to do this second method without having to heat the nuts up if you get the hole size correct.

Can't offer much more than that I'm afraid. At about £2.50 a wheel it might be worth buying a few spares though just incase the first one or two attempts go slightly skewed (don't worry if they do, all part of the learning process )

Should do. I would recommend drilling out the centre to match the distance across the flats of the nut (perhaps just shy of it by 0.5mm) and then heat up the nut and press it in. If you have a large 60w plus soldering iron this should heat up to the ideal temperature. If not then a blue flame lighter (few quid on ebay) will do the job too. Just make sure to do it somewhere well ventilated and do not touch the nut when it's hot (seems simple but i've burned myself a good few times doing similar things).

These work and are cheap!
    IMG_1535.jpg

Cut them down to size with a hacksaw if you already have them. I would then recommend threading them on from the other end as the thread will likely get a bit damaged during the sawing process.

Register To Comment