Register To Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheels for drill-gearboxes?

I have (finally) started to build a feather out of plywood, and I currently own a pair of Argos drill-motors/gearboxes. As Robochallenge does not sell their 'blue wheels (with nut-insert)' any longer, does anyone have a suggestion of what I can use? Could I build wheels out of only plywood, old bike-tyres (for tread) and nails/screws?

TERRIBLE wheels can be made by cutting a circle of plywood, screwing bike tread round the outside, drilling an 8mm hole through te centre and putting an m8 bolt through the hole and a nut and washer in the other side, do this up as tight as physically possible. You can then hold the shank of the m8 bolt in the chuck of the drill and potentially once the chuck is tightened drill a small hole all the way though the chuck and bolt and put a small bolt/pin though to stop it loosening.

A better solution is to make wheels as shown in Ellis' guide in the media section of the forum.

Thank you, but I do not have anything to melt plastic with. Could I do something to modify one of the Banebots wheels? I saw a thread a while ago with a link to some hexagonal reverse-thread pipes which can be cut and inserted into the bore of the​Banebots wheels.

you don't have to melt them in but it is better to do so

a methaon i use is to drill the bore to 13.5mm and hammer in these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Femal...item257bfe422d

you can then either uses glue or a soldering iron to make sure they stay in place, also if they dont sit level enough you can warm them up with a soldering iron and adjust them slightly with a lone 3/8
    unf bolt

I just did some today and they turned out fine, i just gripped the insert in a pair of pliers ( rubber handles so they don't burn your hands) and held it over the flame on my stove top then after about 30 seconds or so they're hot enough to press into the wheels and you just make adjustments by eye, it's not the best method but it definitely works.

OK, thanks. What wheels can I use them with though? Banebots don't make a 98x20mm 3/8" hex shore wheel.

Thank you, but they say '3/4" Hex Shore' rather than 3/8".

So that these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Femal...item257bfe422d) can fit into some wheels.

Register To Comment