Register To Comment
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The FRA Betrayal Game

Thanks Nick! Sign-ups are now clooooosed... expect this shit to kick off tonight!

The FRA Betrayal Game

Chapter 1

Not your average robotic event

It had been a long and daunting flight to Bermuda, but hey, when you get a personal invite to participate in Bermudan Robot Wars - Series 1, including a plane ticket, who's gonna say no?
    Didn't matter why they specifically reached out to him.
    Still, that part where the letter self-destructed after reading was a bit odd wasn't it?
    Martijn shrug off these thoughts as he walked into the City Hall of Hamilton, Bermuda's capital with a whopping population of 1800... was anyone even gonna see this event?
    He had taken With or Without You with him, clusterbots were always practical when travelling.
    He went through the door wondering what oddities he might face on this exotic island. Caribbean engineers with vertical rammers? Horizontal flippers? Steamrollers?
    Andrew's Axeon 4.0?
    Steven's Wedge Devo?
    Alex Holt's Baldur Gamma?
    Alex Valentine left his Dreadnought Mk2. behind for a second to address the situation.
    "Lemme guess, a personal invite as well?"
    "... yes"
    "Self-destructed?"
    "Yes..."
    "We all got that"
    "Say, this is quite a non-Bermudan crowd for what is Bermudan Robot Wars isn't it? Surely I haven't flown all the way from The Netherlands just to see some people I see on the British events anyway? And even the Canadians and Americans over there in the corner I have met before!", Martijn said, as he waved to Kody, Tracy, Josh, Dylan and Nick, stood by Seung Mina VII, Mobile Failure, Revolver Ocelot, WhipCoil 4.5 and Parasite respectively. Also present was Shane and his robot Air. Martijn had not seen the finished product yet, he was impressed. And then there was Playzooki and Good For It.
    "And what you may like to know is that Joey is currently on the toilet", Shane said.
    "Yeah, very cool that he showed up." Andy agreed.

At that point, the assembled roboteers could hear doors around them locking. The Bermudan equivalent of Refbot drove into the room. It was twice the size of the British one, was tracked, had a pair of large Swiss army knifes for arms (or, on closer inspection, Bermudan army knifes), had dreadlocks, and, as it soon turned out, a very stereotypical Caribbean accent.
    "Welcome to Bermudan Robot Wars man! Our goal is to give you a good time! All competitors are here, you know the drill, so I say let the wars begin!"
    "All the competitors are here? There's 13 of us." Kody thought out loud.
    "Since when are you so superstitious?", Josh replied, "yes there's 13 of us and yes we are on Bermuda, what could possibly go wrong?"
    "Not superstitious, it's just that 13 is a very inconvenient number of participants for a tournament."
    "Say Refbot!" Alex shouted. "What price can we even win?"
    "That was said in the letter man." Refbot aswered.
    "The one that self-destructed?" Nick cunningly said.
    "Good point man. The price is a duplicate version of your robot made of rum. And maybe a private island, but we are still ironing out the formalities on so please forget I said that."
    "You mean you haven't yet got a private island to give to us?" Dylan concluded.
    "Here in the Bermuda we do everything in our own time man." The refbot answered.
    "My own private island!" Playzooky yelled.
    "Just wait until Joey hears this... talking of whom, what's taking him so long?" Tracy wondered...

"WAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
    A loud scream came from the toilet.
    Everyone started running towards it.
    The door was locked, but the oncoming crowd quickly solved that problem.
    They could only just see Joey's hand sticking out from inside the toilet.
    He was sucked in.
    "Well man, at least the problem of the odd number of entrants is solved now, with 12 competitors my job will be a lot easier." Refbot said.
    "What..." Tracy started.
    "He's a robot Tracy." Kody said. "He can't help being logical."
    "Hey look, there's a letter with him." Martijn said, as he grabbed it.
    "What does it say?" GF asked.
    ""Joey was but the first. I am among you and I will get you all. You can't run, you can't hide. This letter will self-destruct in 10 seconds.""
    "Where does this asshole even buy this self-destructing paper?" GF wondered.
    BOOM!
    Everyone expected a minor explosion. Harmless. Small. Like with the self-destructing invitations they all received earlier. Instead they got a massive explosion. Most were only slightly harmed, but Martijn, holding the letter, wasn't so lucky.
    "And down to 11 competitors, I will have to come up with a new format for this tournament..."
    "You!" Shane yelled, pointing at the robot.
    "Don't take out your anger on him." Dylan said. "We all know enough of robots to understand that blaming a robot is pointless. The culprit is amongst us."
    "Processing data..." The Refbot said. "Round 1 of this tournament will be an 11-robot rumble. All competitors are expected to do battle in 30 minutes."
    And the Refbot drove off...

Alive and kicking

Alex Holt - Baldur Gamma
    Playzooki - Good For It Snr
    Josh "NWOWWE" Noel - Revolver Ocelot
    Kody "Kodster" Kunz - Seung Mina VII
    Tracy "Shadowflare" Farber - Mobile Failure 2.5
    Andrew Jackson - Axeon 4.0
    Steven McGregor - Wedge Devolution
    Dylan "Badnik96" McCarthy - WhipCoil 4.5
    Alex "GF93" Valentine - Dreadnought Mk2
    Shane "Swanaldo" Swan - AIR
    Nick "Parassyte" Schuch - Parasite

Fallen

Joey McConnell - ... robot as of yet unseen...
    Martijn "MajinB" Benschop - With or Without you

I was quite liking this Martijn character actually, pity he didn't make it past the opening post. That is what the Betrayal Game does to you, a roller coaster of emotions!

And now...

Role play! There is a robotic event and a murder mystery going on here, and you have to deal with it! Mourn, investigate, discuss, or just ignore the killing and prepare and work out tactics for the 11-way robot rumble that is coming up soon. If you wish you can even drop out of the tournament altogether, but good luck trying to leave the building. I want at least 1 post per round per person. If busy, a short post will do, but please do post.

Vote! One of you IS the killer, and each of you will get 2 guesses per round as to who this might be. Contact me in private, through Skype or Private Message or whatever, to vote.

Get your stuff sorted out before my Saturday starts please, and I'm GMT+1.
    Last edited by majinb; 1st April 2014 at 13:05.

"Self-destructing letters... what is this, Inspector Gadget? That's so cliche. The toilet though... ugh."

TACTICS: Flip things.

After the display in the bathroom, Josh starts singing... "The water's your friend, the tub is your pal, you can't get sucked down the drain! The water's your friend, the tub is your pal, you can't get sucked down the drain!"

He trails off as he notices some funny looks being shot his way.

"Oh come on! I can't be the only one that used to watch Rugrats! And when else would I get a chance to use that song?"

Josh then looks at the corpse of Martjin.

"And what's with these exploding letters? I don't think I want to open any more mail for awhile."\

"Don't take out your anger on him." Dylan said. "We all know enough of robots to understand that blaming a robot is pointless. The culprit is amongst us."
    "The culprit is among us? Dear god not this crap again. I've done this before and I did not like it! I ended up dead!"

Blank looks follow this.

"Okay, it was just Chris and I's web show, but my character died and no one cared! Least of all me come to think of it."

Josh coughed before continuing.

"Anyway, let's not get started on this paranoia s***. Joey got sucked down the toilet. It's either supernatural or an extreme achievement in ignorance. Possibly both. We all revived exploding letters, that one just happened to be extra potent. Let's just do this rumble alright?"

TACTICS:

Stick to a safe section of wall and play hazard early on. Attack any wedge-y bots if they have their backs to me. Protect my sides and back.

Perhaps the name of the game is to win. what if i lose and i cop it with a length of andrex.

Tactics: Defo flip things and sorry but i don't trust anyone at the moment to team up. On me own for this round.

In light of the recent death of Martijn, Alex was not only shocked, but worried by what was happening- and found himself wondering who or what could have been responsible for it. Sure there was the fact that he'd been sucked into the toilet, which could've been the basis for an accident, but considering he was not in a Captain Underpants novel, there must've been some involvement from someone else to have that happen.

Alex decided to look into the matter later. After paying his condolences to his fallen friend, he took Dreadnought Mk2 over to the Pits- his prized machine had made the trip over the Atlantic pretty much unscathed and in the right place (And not for example, ending up in Moscow.), which did relieve his tension somewhat.
    With that, Alex set about making the last few touches to Dreadnought in preparation for its fight in Round One, whistling something* as he worked. He'd looked around the Pits at the other robots earlier, so there was some uncertainty, but he felt reasonably confident he could do well.

STRATEGY
    Keep constantly moving, be unpredictable, and focus on flipping/shunting opponents around, and getting them to either the Pit or even the Arena Wall to flip them out. Keep out the way of the spinners early on to avoid taking too much damage, and go for them once they slow down- my armour's very good indeed, but any visible signs of damage could count against me if I'm not careful.

Avoid the hazards if I'm not taking opponents to them myself, keep my back and sides well-protected against the other wedges, and use my speed and agility to get to any weak spots and get underneath them quickly. I can't say I can really team up with anyone at this point, so fight a tactical battle and watch out for any ambushes. Good luck!

*Dreadnought's theme-
    Last edited by GF93; 1st April 2014 at 21:54.

Register To Comment