Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flag Robotics' new [completely recycled] beetleweight!

Definitely not! I have got a cheap solution planned, the motor/gearbox I'd use has a 463kg/cm max efficiency torque at 12v, and I'd then have that going to a 4:1 bevel gear setup, or it'd be geared up to some threaded rod and would become a sort of micro linear actuator. Apparently the whole system could be run at 24v which would provide a slightly worrying amount of torque, whether that would translate well to this application I don't know, nor if I'd be able to house it successfully, but I rather hope I could!

Decided to revive this project a little whilst I build up the funding for HardWired II's upgrades.

After much consideration I'm going to use the old material from HardWired II's base and lid to make a new machine, a mini version of HWII. It's not original in the slightest, but I quite like the idea of having a tiny version of my existing robot, or should I say tinier version of my existing robot...

Whilst not 'completely' recycled, I'll probably end up buying a set of those 1000RPM ebay motors, or perhaps some faster ones for small wheels like I'll have. I'll play about with materials to make a grippy but durable set of wheels, if I can.

Photos as it happens! Going to get started on it soonish, hopefully!

I like those wheels with the gear rings in.

Gonzales' wheels were pretty cool, and it's great as a single-stage and saving a bit of space too. It actually has given me a (ludicrously stupid) idea, but that'll probably need a little bit of work.
    I think Skyfall had wheels as well with ring gears inside them, it's a neat idea, but seems a little more complex, getting it to work...

I think a beetleweight version of HW with Gonzales type drive would be awesome, i wonder if you can get 1mm hardox just to complete the look, that would be cool. Skyfall i believe did have ring gears in the wheels but it was basically an entire gearbox inside the wheel giving a (i think) 7:1 reduction, great for space but according to Mario VERY heavy.

I'm sure hardox is outlawed in beetles, correct me if I'm wrong. It may just be ruling out armour-bots though.

I'm trying to build something that's very small and very fast, just like the featherweight one is but that might prove difficult given the size of motors in these things anyway!

I do think they banned Hardox as armour in beetles too... doesn't say anything about 5mm stainless though!

I'm not sure if you'd get away with 5mm stainless i'm sorry to say, the piece i had at the champs was 2.5mm A4 size and that weighs over half a kilo. I think even 2 - 2.5mm would be plenty to keep the spinners out.

ive gone for a bolted together chassis of 3mm grade 6 aluminium so far its met no working spinners but has fallen down the stairs a couple of times with no damage lol

Skyfall had S900s in a 7:1 gearbox with a ring gear inside a 120mm wheel, really compact but about 1.8kg each.

Register To Comment