Register To Comment

Thread: Questions about the Battle Antz robot kit

Right, so i have some questions about the Battle antz kit:

A. what are the competition rules regarding the robot?

B. Could i remove the chassis and place a new one around it?

c. Where are the best places to buy it from?

D. Is it worth getting?

E. and finally, what are all the specifications for it?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Darth Roboteer; 18th January 2014 at 19:43.

Hey Alex, welcome to the forum

Answers:
    A: Battle Ants don't actually fit a weight class anymore; They used to be superants but they were recently taken out because no-one builds them anymore, so you won't be able to use it in official competition, but you can have fights with the regulation antweights in the ant arena I bring to most events.

B: Of course you can, you can fit the parts into whatever chassis you can make.

C: http://www.robotwars.tv/merchandise

D: Not owning one, can't help with size specs, but I know the robot is driven by a pair of speed hacked futaba S3003 servos, and the flipper is powered by the same servo, just not changed.

it would be the first thing like this i would have, so i'm not completely savvy with all components, so i'm not sure what i have to get to get within restrictions and so on. do you reckon i should get one?

With all respect to Jonno, I think you're better off saving your money and building a legal (150g) antweight for proper, organised competition. I'm more than willing to help you with this if you need it

Do you have any ideas on what components i need? and any tips on building?

If you're looking at getting a kit, I'd say go for the bot bitz one. It's fully legal, so you can enter it at any UK antweight event. As Dave says, the Battle Antz are super antweights, so there's actually no competitions you can enter with them. You would have to ship it over from australia though, but they're actually cheaper than the battle antz kits, so the total cost with shipping might not be that much more.

Alternatively I believe Will is going to be selling kits in the UK before long:

http://www.botbitz.com/index.php?rou...tegory&path=63

Radio, Charger and Battery incl in complete one although shipping to UK could be interesting.

Steve

Really, I'd just reiterate what everyone else has said already. You can always modify the kits later down the line too, after you get a bit more clued up on what everything does - I wouldn't suggest a complete overhaul, but you've always got that option and failing that the stock machine's a solid choice anyway for a beginner to the sport.

Generally speaking, your basic parts don't tend to change much as you progress through the weight categories from what I'm aware (though some ant/beetleweights use servos to drive instead of a speed controller/motor combination) so once you learn the basic layouts you'll be able to build something from scratch if you'd rather go that route as well.

Register To Comment