Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Removable (ish) Link

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Brass nuts soldered onto ring connectors and then hot glued onto either side of an isulator (heavy duty cardboard in this case). Add the brass screw to turn the robot on. At out Australian competitions I only half unwind the screw, plus a few extra turns, to turn the robot off (main power light turns off, receiver light turns off, cooling fans turn off, we all know when it's turned off), but I guess in Europe you can remove the screw completely. Doesn't need to be hot glue, could be epoxy or cast urethane, but I'm broke and only had hot glue. Cheap, easy to make, takes a high current, won't shake loose and easy to put in a less exposed part. Only need to get the screw though a hole, not a whole link.
    Would this be acceptable at UK events? I don't see why not though it could be argued it takes a while to remove the link. I'm looking to replace the one on my flipper which currently has a deans connector but keeps breaking, bending and falling out so want a more sturdy solution!

Roboteer

Nope, no good. Use an EC5, XT90 or andersons.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

Ok, I've used an EC5 connector, am I allowed to tie the link to a short length of sting attached to the robot so it cannot be misplaced or does it have to be completely removable from the robot?

There is no rule that says that you have to misplace the link.

And no, there isn't any reason you can't use a bit of string , chain or whatever to secure your link to the robot to avoid loss.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    There is no rule that says that you have to misplace the link.
    There is, its called Sod's law (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sod's_law)

do what most people do, make the loop big enough to fit over your transmitter aerial and keep a spare link in a known place in your toolbox.

Also if you use a well known connector then chances are someone could lend you one at an event worst case

I don't think there's anything specifically in the rules that says otherwise, though I started looping mine round the transmitter as Gary mentioned, simple enough. My worry is that you might be replacing the string regularly from just general wear...

Just make more links than you'd need, and then you've got spares should anything go wrong too!

It seems no matter how many links I bring I also lose them and often lose the link in the arena as it is quite vulnerable, if it is attached to the robot I can't possibly lose it so it will be one less thing to worry about!

Well tough titty.

Register To Comment