Register To Comment
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring Brick

After many, many years of having an interest in this hobby i've finally found the balls to give it a go. I'm not going to try and make anything too spectacular for my first one so it is going to be as the title suggests...... a boring brick .
    Specs at the moment are as follows..

Nylon chassis and baseplate probably 10mm with 10mm hdpe around the sides to hopefully suck up the worst of the damage.
    4mm stainless wedge at the front, will probably change to hardox at some point
    2 Gimson GR02 18v gearboxes with 70mm wheels
    TZ85 speed controllers
    2 8.4v 3700ah NIMH batteries in series to give 16.8v

Any comments or suggestions please feel free i'm here to learn after all
    Pictures to follow when i start the build

A good base to start with. Lots of practice, and you have a machine that can give you a lot of fun in the arena.

But a better name is a must. Boring Brick is a generic name for the class.

Yeah the name needs some work, it's just until i can be bothered to put my mind to it but thanks very much for your comments

All sounds good, will this be invertable?

If so, you might want to change the 10mm Nylon baseplate for a 10mm HDPE one, will take the hits better when flipped over and look at 2x 9.6v batteries instead, be running the motors at slightly over rated voltage to make sure it's not underpowered plus its nothing the TZ85's can't handle

And finally, welcome to the forum
    Last edited by mattsdragons; 29th December 2013 at 18:28.

Thank you and yes it will be invertable so maybe as you said hdpe would be a better way to go, also i've been looking and pricing and maybe the tz85's are something for the future but would the 30amp botbitz be up to a GR02 running at 19.2v?

Should be fine but if you buy decent esc's the first time round then you can transfer them from bot to bot, I made the mistake of going for cheap esc's first time round and they don't leave room for upgrades to drive trains etc. If you can afford it or are willing to wait just that little bit longer, go for the 85's but the 30's should be upto the job with that spec

Yeah i see what you're saying, i guess i'll have to think on it, also is this a good transmitter http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_Mode_1_.html
    i've been looking around for a half decent one that doesn't completely break the bank, can anyone see any problems with it and if so can you recommend an alternative?

It works. I won't say it will be great or so.

Only the failsafe function can be a problem.

This reciever should solve that issue, but I don't think it's compatible with the RX you propose.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Failsafe_.html

Thank you, i'm not too savvy on transmitters and receivers so if anybody could recommend a system that isn't incredibly expensive and that will fail-safe i would be very grateful.

The Orange RX/TX series from Hobbyking ain't to expensive, and do the job fine. Only disadvantage is the hidious appearance.

Register To Comment