Register To Comment
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring Brick

Polycarbonate is a tad heavier than HDPE and a lot more brittle.

As a lid, 12mm will be more than enough. I use 6mm on the top of Drumroll, it does a fine job of keeping the axes out and the only thing to get through it was a powerful hydraulic crusher.

Good to know, I was slightly worried robots like little hitter or your new axe would go straight through

Well, the arena walls are 10mm polycarb, put it that way! The reason they contain the robots, though, is because they're big and flexible, and loosely mounted into the frame. Without some shock absorption, polycarb cracks/shatters, so some form of bounce in the plate if you use it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah that might be an idea, any suggestions on what I could use to absorb some of the shock? Maybe some thin hdpe under the polycarb?

I've been looking around at speed controllers and i'm considering trying either a sabertooth 2x25 or a scorpion xl instead, is there any reason not to use them?

Varies on a person's experience. Some slate the Sabtertooth ESC's others love them, depends how you treat them. Scorpion's tend to be good all round, though they occasionally have strange happenings when it comes to interpreting signals.

Many people will say though to go for a pair of TZ85A from Botbitz. Treat them right and they should last years of heavy use.

Thats me, but wait and see what others say.

We've used a Scorpion XL in Explosion for coming up to six years now and it broke for the first and only time this year (which is especially good considering how heavily used Explosion is)! Even then the customer service was excellent and they gave us all the information we needed to fix it and we got it going again for Portsmouth 2 weeks later. We also used a Sidewinder in Invasion for years (excessive for most feathers but made by the same company) and never had any issues. We've got a new XXL to put into Combustion so we're sticking with them simply due to how good they've been from experience.

Just for another perspective and to put a good word in for the Robot Power speed controllers

The built in mixing of the xl and the sabertooth is what's drawing me to them, how does the 2x12 cope with use in a featherweight? i'll only be using 18v gimsons or overvolted argos drills so nothing too current hungry i wouldn't have thought

Register To Comment