Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first beetle weight, just some questions

Hi guys

firstly i must say, great forum!

i have looked into what i want to build, im thinking about a fast, ram-bot type deal, with scope for making it a lifter, i thought about a spinner but for safety sake thought against it,

for the motors i was thinking about

http://www.technobotsonline.com/re-2...rbox-15-1.html
    2 of these,

http://www.technobotsonline.com/sabe...er-for-rc.html
    this as the esc, although im wondering if it is a bit overkill

banebots wheels, hubs, e.t.c.

Aluminium for the armour, i have a box of sheets so this would be preferable.

can anyone recommend a cheap as chips 3 channel rx and tx?

also what battery systems would you guys recommend,

thanks!

Hi Tom,
    Those motors are only 1.5-3v, not really good enough for our use. A couple of us, myself and Dave Weston used the 12-24v versions of those motors and found them really quite lacking. Changed up to these which seem very popular with Australians and US Builders. I like em too.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-12V-DC...item4d02562621

That esc will work, but I don't much like them, just preference. Many use them to great effect. There are cheaper alternatives if you are interested. Won't be quite as plug and play as the sabertooth.

Aluminium could work, depending on thickness and grade.

3 channel.. do you mean a minimum of 3 channels, or like a pistol grip type transmitter or just stick radio with 3 channels?

Either way, hobbyking and giantshark have cheap 2.4ghz radios, although I think its a good idea to get a fairly decent radio from the off.

Look at 2-4 cell lithium polymer batteries I'd say.

Cheers. Harry.

just a quick note about the sabertooth, i use 1 in my 4wd beetle and it seems to work fine but if your using a high torque servo you will need to disconnect the BEC and add an external or it will either stop when the servo is used (and stay there until you turn the power off and on again) or drive off and the error light will flash on the sabertooth esc but otherwise mine drives it quite nicely

@harry

thanks for the quick reply!

what esc's would you recommend over the saberooth, all of my knowledge so far has been some minor research!

i may get the giantshark one, im on a fairly lean budget for the electronics,

i will definitely be getting a set of those motors, they seem like awesome pieces of kit,
    do they need some kind of gearbox, or can they be directly mounted to the motor?

also the aluminium truth be told i picked a load up at a jumble sale, the guy couldn't ive me any more than that unfortunately!
    if not i will look into some 4mm nylon, or thicker!

1.5-2mm thick, imagine the front of a synth or amplifier,

they seem competitive, may pick up a set

what about the gearbox conundrum with the motors?

thanks

can i directly mount the wheels to the motors?

fair enough, although i may use it as a baseplate to mount motors too, until i can sort out some acrylic of nylon

and will i need bearing blocks to mount the motors, or is it worth machining my own mounts?

so as a guide for prices,

15 for the motors,
    30 for the esc's
    20 for the radio system
    15 for the battery
    10 for wheels
    10 for the hdpe sheet
    5 for miscellaneous
    £105, does this sound reasonable or is that a dreamy figure?

also does hdpe need to be thicker?
    is it resistant to spinners?
    by the looks of things it will be quite a fast bot, i will get the parts ordered tomorrow, including silly imperial allen keys for the hubs

Register To Comment