Register To Comment

Thread: Are these suitable as removable links? and failsafe question.

Two things...

1. - I have read the rules with regards to using a removable link, and it says you must not use a built in key or switch, the link must be removable. I have a few of these kicking about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Is...item53f57ff3f9

from owning rally cars etc, and wondered if this would be acceptable as although its in the form of a key it's removable?

2. - I was also reading about the requirement for a fail safe. I have one of the 40 quid Giant Shark 2.4ghz sets from Giant Cod etc. Are these acceptable as a built in fail safe? In addition I have a Sabertooth ESC, is this known to also failsafe?

Thanks again

Dave

Rule 6.1.1 "... A key or Switch is not allowed...."

Can't have anything with switching contacts in case they short.

they we're banned as during fights the red key part would get broken giving no way of switching the robot off!

As much as I dislike removable links I do agree it is the best system to almost completely rule out accidental activation. The problem is as most roboteers will have experienced accidental de-activation in the arena (see Bullfrogs last fight at the Euro champs for an example).

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    2. - I was also reading about the requirement for a fail safe. I have one of the 40 quid Giant Shark 2.4ghz sets from Giant Cod etc. Are these acceptable as a built in fail safe? In addition I have a Sabertooth ESC, is this known to also failsafe?
    Should be okay, just test it on your bench before going to an event. Give the robot full forward, and while in full forward switch off the transmitter. If the robots stops within 5 seconds you are good to go.

drill a couple of holes side by side, put a cable tie through each and loop around with the robot link in the loop, tighten and you're good to go

Register To Comment