Register To Comment
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unnamed (FW)

Why are you using an arduino to control the machine? You won't be able to use it at any events if thats the case.

EDIT: I remembered the custom control systems rules being more stringent than simply:
    4.9 Home Built
    If you are using a home built control system you must first clear it with the event organiser and declare it during ‘Tech Check’.

I also know from experience that despite spending hours coding and trying to make sure there are no exceptions to any rules you code in, things still go wrong. Nevermind.
    Last edited by Eventorizon; 14th February 2015 at 10:04.

Why on earth wouldn't be allowed to use it at an event? I believe Alex (Shakey) was using one to control his axe.
    One thing I would say is that I would switch to an arduino mini for the real thing as it is smaller, lighter and much more rugged.

Roboteer

You're quite within your rights to build automation but you might want to look at adding some code to shut off the output on a switch or second input to switch the output off under your control so if it goes wrong you can quickly turn it off, for example if the pot becomes dislodged.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

Just saw the arduino debate. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using an arduino in a robot, they are fantastic pieces of kit. It's fairly well known by the tech checkers that my axe is arduino controlled and I've never had issue.

As Max pointed out I control the axe in my robot with an arduino nano. The arduino let me input time restrictions, double failsafes and stall prevention (With an option of limit switches on top). Frankly my bot would be more dangerous without it (And even more fire prone :P ). All my arduino is doing is acting as an interface between the receiver and the TZ85 watching the throttle and gear channels turning that into a throttle signal to a (home hacked) TZ85. I intend on doing the same as PINSKI is here with an arduino turning a lifter into a big overpowered servo. I could use tiny ATMEL or PIC chips (and infact have a small tube of ATTINY84's on my desk right now) but I find it easier to just shove a nano in, and the reprogramming on the fly is easier. Plus afterall the chip in an arduino is the same as a TZ85 and after hacking what's really the difference?

Sorry for the hijack. The robot is looking excellent and I look forward to seeing it done, 4 bars are a favourite of mine!

To echo Kane, a switch to turn everything off is a great idea, it's easy enough to have the system look at the gear channel as a can/can't move signal.

Register To Comment