Register To Comment
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Armour ideas / materials

Wear-plate steels, such as Hardox, are standard practice. There once was a source of 3.2mm thick Hardox but I believe that is rapidly drying up, if not already gone. 4mm is quite easy to source, though. I'm not a heavy builder, but it seems the standard method is to design a heavy, get the armour and chassis parts watercut by a company of your choice, then weld them all together.

There are other wear steels, but I'll let others comment about those, if there are any Hardox competitors.

Given you have 3 posts... Welcome to the Forum!

Can I ask, is this your first machine and do you have any prior experience building machines similar to a heavyweight?

If Yes then go for it!

If No then we have a lot to fill you in on...

I wouldn't bother specializing too quickly in life. Best advice I was ever given. Went and studied mechanical engineering, now work in the oil field. Make profit, build bots in spare time.

You may struggle to get a job with security in robotics.

Welcome to the forums mate.
    You have a decent technology background but I'm afraid those aspects in this hobby are rather strait forward. Backgrounds in mechanical engineering and fabrication is usually needed to jump straight into heavyweight building.
    Not saying you can't do it but you should start smaller then move up. Heavyweight mistakes are very expensive
    Suggestion: build a feather. At your first competition eye up the heavy s and talk to people.
    That would help you loads

Most people who start with robot combat in "our format" do that by building one of the lighter classes. Those are a tad lighter on the wallet. But it's not up to me to decide that.

For armor. Most used atm is wear resistant steel, like Hardox. And simular kinds from other steel manufactorers. Search on names like RAEX , XAR or Creusabro. A tad more expensive than normal steel, but a lot cheaper than anything else for the same value of protection and "ease" of working with it.

The really high end grades of ali can do the job on the same level, but that you'll feel in the wallet. 7075T6 springs to mind.

Some plastics have , if used well, a reasonable result. In the past, polycarbonate -brand names like Lexan of Macrolon- was popular, but is getting replaced in most cases with the lighter, toughter cheaper, but softer HDPE.

On the other side, we have seen robots made from mild steel, ali checkerplate or low end stainless steel performing very well in the arena, and machines armored with hugely expensive stuff fail miserably. It's all how you use it.

And remember. Air is good armor, but armoring air is rather futile.

Register To Comment