Register To Comment
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Expat - Beetleweight Adventures

Hiya,

The motor has a little bearing support type thing on the back of it. You can see what I mean in this pic, it's the circular extrusion around the motor shaft: http://image.dhgate.com/albu_3819855...-600rpm-dc.jpg

Including that, but not including the brass-looking shoulder that supports the shaft on the gearbox, the whole unit is 51mm long. Not including that rear extrusion bit nor the brass shoulder at the front, it's 49.5mm long. Including both the front brass shoulder and the bit at the back it's 53.5mm long.

I'm guessing they called it 52mm as that's roughly the medium. The only 52mm long measurement is including the shoulder, but excluding the motor extrusion whatsit at the back. Hope that helps.

It might be worth noting that the gearbox is almost perfectly 25mm in dia (perhaps a fraction under), the motor itself is more like 24mm.

---------------------

Beetleweight might be going under major changes design-wise. I have to ask if the current design, with a wedge, is going to be more effective than the seemingly more popular ground-scraping wedgless design most verticals have. If I go for the wedgeless approach, 4WD seems a bit pointless/looks daft no matter how I configure it. We'll see.

Also, I have started a website. I have quite a lot to write yet, to catch up on what we've done, but the whole of Tormenta 1 is written up. Over 5000 words. If you're interested, have a read! www.teamexpat.co.uk
    Last edited by Ellis; 13th August 2013 at 19:33.

im using the same motor lol

Nice job with the website Ellis. As someone who regularly posts thoroughly long masses of text, I approve of the content
    Will stick a link to it on the RTR website in the next couple of days.

@Dan: no problem!

@Jamie: thank you! I'll return the favour once I have the "other people" page setup.

-------------

The CAD is a bit messy but perhaps something like this makes more sense:

Either way I have to decide pretty pronto, this has to be ready in 3 week's time, gah!

It's DBA crossed with Kajuscha !

3 weeks? Is Deeside that close? Or are you taking like a week to travel?

We don't be doing another big roboty trip this year. We can't fund it. My dad and I will fly over in time for the second and third weekends of next month, as he has to be in place for my grandparents in that particular window. I'm tagging along to get to see some of you and to be able to fight this beetle as Deeside. It's pure chance that there was an event at a suitable time for us to drop in.

Result is, yeah, we have to leave more than a week early!

----------------------

I just checked the "workshop" and we have loads of 10mm HDPE left. I was going to get some 10mm nylon for the beetle, purely because it should hold a thread better. If I use the HDPE I could potentially save 50 quid, as postage is a major B. For those who have worked on this scale, how does HDPE hold a thread? I intended to use m4 bolts for everything, what do people think?

If I go for the HDPE I can start building more than a week sooner, I'm just worried it'll come apart easily in battle.

Dont thread hdpe itself, specially M4 or smaller thread is just too fine and rip right out. Self tapping wood screws would be better.

Use plastic inserts for m4 screws, those should fit in the 10mm thickness you have...I wouldn't bother trying to puy a thread on to the hdpe itself tho

Register To Comment