Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antabuse (aka DieSulfiram)

Do I see two exposed pins on the left-hand side of the image? You probably accidentally dropped or knocked something metal into the battery, causing it to short the pins for a split second (which is all it takes). NEVER leave pins exposed on LiPos. At an absolute minimum always cover them with electrical tape, but preferably use plugs that only have one exposed pin, and one socket.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDavies View Post
    Looked at it and that is it. The connector came off with the battery and the pins must have touched. I'll reinforce it with tape now so that can't happen again.
    As this is your first LiPo failure (most of us antweight builders have had one at one point or another), do a Google search for how to safely dispose of LiPo batteries.

As Harry says, you cannot be too careful with LiPos. I've soldered up loads of LiPo packs and cells in my time, and yet I still triple-check every single connection, solder joint, and socket by eye and with a multimeter at every single stage of the process. I also always keep anything metal far away on my workbench to where I'm working on them. Always cover anything that's exposed, and be very careful if you're ever cutting a wire to or from a battery while it's connected. I know a few people who've thought it was a good idea to cut both battery wires at the same time, only for the wires to short through the cutters they were using and go pop.

I seem to remember you have to put them in a bag of salt and pop them...? As Scott says though, I'd double check with Google. Personally I've never had a failure (very unusual, I still have a few 10 year old kokam cells which seem good), but I seem to remember someone mentioning the salt thing before. I think the key is, when handling them, always assume they're about to explode or catch fire if you do the slightest thing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDavies View Post
    Looked at it and that is it. The connector came off with the battery and the pins must have touched. I'll reinforce it with tape now so that can't happen again.
    Just to confirm you can't use that battery again it must be disposed of, never use a lipo that has swelled or looks at all damaged. Sorry if you already realised this but better to be safe than sorry!

IMG_1371.jpg
    Remade the chassis in polycarb.

Register To Comment