Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lubricated pneumatics.

Its the Dihydrogen Monoxide you need to watch-out for. It's lethal stuff. I almost swallowed some inadvertently just earlier today

Sorry, you're right. it's carbonic acid.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRyland View Post
    You may need to refer to the DHMO Safety Data Sheet: http://www.dhmo.org/msdsdhmo.html
    Good advice for anyone... please read, folks. It may save your life.

For low temp lubrication either molycote or PTFE based lubricant should be OK for temperatures down to -73C

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?R=387EN

I would say to use this stuff sparingly, As has been mentioned, the duty cycle of pneumatic systems on robots is particularly low, so in most cases I would say lubrication at service intervals is all you need.

Where I work we have valves that operate 30,000 times a day... Don't have them fail very often aslong as the air supply is dry... Occasionly they stick, put a bit of sewing machine oil or similar down the infeed pipe to lubricate the shuttle and there good for a while after.... You will never get to the point of having to do that kind of maintenance on a robots valve... You will blow it up or chop it in half years before its working life runs out.

Ah, yes I'm sure you're right. But it's not the valves I am worried about. I am running a low pressure system and I will be using plenty air-flow; maybe more than a cylinder will allow. Which lead me to look at compressors. I believe I could get somewhere using scroll compressors from car air-con, but they need lubrication.

If i can get away with it for 4-5 mins at a time without lube, then great, but I am very uncertain. I'll be able to do some tests in the next couple of weeks.

I'm using molykote 33 on mine, its good for very low temperatures, I still cant get your idea of using compressors rather than Co2 though.

Register To Comment