Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lubricated pneumatics.

The rules are pretty clear with regard to not even inadvertently allowing air into hydraulic systems.

However, what about the reverse? Many pneumatic systems call for a lubricator; a very fine oil mister in effect, usually with a de-mister somewhere down the line.

I suspect I might want one; there are parts that may seize otherwise and it helps with cooling. It does nothing whatsoever to increase pressure and so has no safety implications so far as I can see, but wanted some feedback before I think more about it.

There is nothing in the rules about lube, so no problem there.

According to me there is no need for a air-conditioning unit. The running time of our machines is a few hours at most. Imagine 20 testruns a year and 15 fights. Thats 3 hours total.
    Lubing parts ain't nothing you can't do by hand when changing the CO2 bottles/charging the batteries/tightening the bolts.

I just use a tad of very light grease (or thick oil) to make the rams go easier. That only happens when I have the ram open for assembly or check-ups.
    We did a test with a drop of paintball oil before every fight, but that wasn't a succes.

But your not allowed to heat your pneumatic system, I think that would count as a heat boaster.
    The only thing you can do is put heatsinks on co2 bottles or pipes to help disipate the coldness or perhaps 'accidentally' run you pipes near the motors.

It's not a heater, it's a cooler, to keep the motors from melting.

Also, there isn't much to be "heated" by a good drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    But your not allowed to heat your pneumatic system, I think that would count as a heat boaster.
    The only thing you can do is put heatsinks on co2 bottles or pipes to help disipate the coldness or perhaps 'accidentally' run you pipes near the motors.
    Or run the cold pipes round the motors in order to cool the motors
    I don't think anyone would mind, if there were no actual boost to the system, other than keep it running at above freezing

Anway, looks like my lubricator would be ok then. At the moment, my mad experiment uses an onboard compressor (several in the final design, but just playing with one, for now) and these are what need lubricating. Currently trying a scroll compressor which normally compresses freon, not air. Hence the need for added lube.

Edit: Beat me to it, maddox

Be careful though. If water gets into the mechanism it becomes Carbon Hydroxide which is banned for not being inert

With Bacon Wizards compressor it's possible to have water build up due condensing. But to make from that carbon hydroxide, you'll need more than a bit of chemistry going on.

And water in CO2 setups. Ice on the outside , yes, but in the tanks, doubtfull.

Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm View Post
    Be careful though. If water gets into the mechanism it becomes Carbon Hydroxide which is banned for not being inert
    Carbon Hydroxide is entirely hypothetical, so far as I know, and would form a highly unstable liquid. You cant ban something that has probably never been made outside of a Lab for fractions of a second.

What happens when you put a lot of CO2 in water? You get a fizzy drink....

Register To Comment