Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight increase

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Beetleweight is currently set at 1.362kg for various reasons. I want to propose a weight increase to 1.5kg. I feel the weight increase will make the catagory more accessible and tempt a few more to build. It would also fall nicely in line with the antweight catagory at 150g. Beetleweight 1500g.

Well the feather weight limit change was to match the states. 12kg to 13.6kg (30 pounds)
    Seemed logical and was quiet an easy transition.
    Beetle weights are really more popular in the US and not matching their weight would cause some issues in traveling over. Though thats not very common.
    Also numbers are quiet easy to remember if you work the other way. Feathers 13.6kg, beeltles 1.36kg

I can see rounding to 1.4 being possible for the sake of accessibility, then people can likely still lose a few grams to make it back down to 1.36kgs if need be.
    Personally I'm going to still aim for 1.36kgs in case I ever do compete abroad.

Hmmmmm....I cant see any Yanks travelling to the uk. and if they did it would be easier for them to increase rather than the UK decrease.

I think it more likely we'd go out there. Plus BWs are a good size and weight to just go in your luggage.

Could always build to 1.36kgs and have 164g of additional bolt on armour you use in the UK.
    Or an AntWeight clusterbot partner!

Do Canadian's mostly run Kilobots?

My advice....Just build a robot and play

I personally think that it should stay as it is. The increase is not enough to make a build easier as you are still stuck with pretty much the same classes/sizes of motors and batteries. The way I see it is that both Beetles and Ants are of such a small size that powerful motors with strong gearbox's are expensive as they are right in the scale of miniature models and vehicles which are expensive hobbies.

I would like to see a class for 15 Lbs machines, or half a featherweight. I think the Germans have that weight class and so do the aussies. They are heavy enough to use featherweight parts like ESC's and motors and can be paired up to fight against feathers and it would give another class that could be run in the Robochallenge arena which doesn't get out much.

Another weight category won't get the Robochallenge arena up any more often, it would just diminish the time the featherweights spend in it when it is.

I personally prefer 1.36kg, but that's borne out of a combination of mild OCD and the fact that it keeps things inline with international competitors.

That said, the FW limit went up to 13.6kg to bring it inline internationally allowing for easy inter-continental battles, but how many of us have gone to the US/Aus with our feathers, or vice-versa since then? Also makes sense to make such changes while existing robots are few and far between, so if the limit is 1.5kg, then I'll build to that

Register To Comment