Register To Comment

Thread: Hacked servo drive system

Building a Beetleweight now that HardWired Evolution's somewhere up in the atmophere in tiny little particles, I've heard of various different robots using hacked servoes for a (decidedly slow) drive system - would these (specifically, this http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...g_0_13sec.html) be suitable for a beetleweight, or am I best looking for small gearmotors?

Thanks in advance!

In terms of pushing power or speed? (Or both?) The reason I ask is because my plan's a very Last-Rites-ey type design with a frankly ridiculous spinning bar (the bar itself is almost as big as HardWired) and pushing power won't be any sort of priority - it's a very weapon-heavy design, if you get where I'm coming from
    That, and those servoes are cheaper than any motor/ESC combo I can find for the moment...

I see where you're coming from with that, probably going to be easy to dodge this thing, even more so if it pulls a last rights and goes dancing occasionally! Aye, it is for now (living the Uni lifestyle!) but hopefully if one of these jobs I've applied for comes through, I'll be able to buy myself a nice set of motors and speed controllers! Definitely will do too, build that into the Chassis design!

Thanks for the help!

A "long" design such as Last Rites', coupled with weak drive, could actually mean it won't drive at all without some magnetic help. Weight distribution is as important as the drive setup itself. If you can balance it, as in weight over wheels vs weight over the front, then servos will do, though it'll be slow. Chances are some little neodymium magnets under the wheels will be necessary in any case.

Ah yeah, that completely skipped my thought process...
    I have been thinking about redesigning into a full-body type design, again retaining the ridiculously large weapon but centered obviously around the machine instead of a last rites design, so I might go ahead with that! Once I get my Uni Mac or whatever, I'll try and cad it up and whatnot

Register To Comment