Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firestorm Drive System / Dual Differential

I have been watching back over Robotwars and I have just watched Season 4 Heat C with Firestorm 2.

I remember looking at this before but I think I am right in saying they used some kind of differential rather than the standard left and right drive motors

I have seen versions of this done in lego but I cant see how they would have fitted it inside the machine. I have spotted Elliptical/Planetary Differential drives but does anyone have any images of the insides of Firestorm showing this mechanism?

Trawled through my images but couldn't find anything I'm afraid.

But yeah you're right. I got a good look at it back in 2005 at an event and, basically, it had one big motor that does forward and back, and two smaller drill motors (bigger than our FW ones) for doing left and right (and then of course, all stick positions in between). From what I remember, the big motor rotated a structure that drove the wheels, but also contained the two drill motors, and the whole assembly rotated when it went fwd/back. Then the two drill motors drove the wheels independently through the differential.

Not the best description I know, but my memory is hazy and my understanding of it isn't the best. Hopefully someone who saw it more often/knows properly how it works can come along and describe it better!

I've got one on my PC of the differential on the plans.

or http://web.archive.org/web/201109010...irestorm.co.uk

I cant get the archive to work. Any chance you can upload the plans?

Next time, I'm on my PC. I'm on my mobile most times

chassis15.JPG
    Click here for the full sized image
    search www.gbone1.force9.co.uk* in the wayback machine for all the pages it has because the navigation on the archived ones is mostly broken

Why would you use this?

Greater pushing power, better straight line & immobilisation redundancy.

With this you are basically guaranteed to go in a straight line. It makes it much easier to drive as you are varying one main speed input rather than trying top unify 2 separate systems. Also if the main motor does goes, you can still drive with the drill motors.

Register To Comment