Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you spend £500?

Last night I was given a £500 grant to run a robotics club in school. I want to make sure the money in the right way so thought I'd open it up and see what people think I should buy.

My idea is to build a number of control boxes that take care of all the complicated electronics. These armoured boxes will have threads cut into the bases so they can be easily moved between machines allowing 10+ robots to be built and run with 3 - 4 shared boxes. The boxes will have a number of female connectors around the side to plug in motors, weapons, removable links etc.

So the question is what goes inside the box? and what drive units should I buy?

My main concern is reliability. These unit probably wont face too much abuse, I'm imaging an after school club will mostly produce rambots and simple weapons (spikes, drills etc) But they need solid electronics and drive if this is going to work.

Here's are my initial thoughts:

1 x OrangeRx T-SIX Transmitter (Although I think the Tx85a's code was written to work with HK's own 2.4ghz TX so maybe those instead if they'll make the ESC's work properly)

1 x Orange Rx

1 x Battery (Probably NiMh over LiPo)

2 x Hacked TX85A ESC’s

1 x Weapon controller, either another hacked TX85a, a relay/switch set up or maybe one unit with a brushless output.

2 x GR02 motors

2 x Robochallenge Wheels

Nylon and Lexan for the housing

None of that is set in stone so any thoughts, ideas, additions, sponsorship deals welcome.

Also worth noting I'm going to be donating my kit to this, I've got one complete set, I'd like to produce 3 more with this money but will settle for 2 if it wont stretch far enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (61.5 KB, 30 views)

That sounds bang on personally. How you got £500 out of your school I have no idea. Neither my secondary or Uni would part with anything what I tried to do this.

I personally would swap the Nylon for HDPE or even MDF simply because its much cheaper. This will free up money to get the ESC's and the other more expensive parts. Also you could make your own wheels for much less and that also means people can pick their own diameters giving a little more design variation; unless you can do some kind of deal with the RC guys.

Out of interest where are you planing to fight the machines just in case someone comes up with something that exceeds your expectations in terms of lethality?

It was a uni bursary, I could spend it on anything I wanted as long as it would increase my employability.

DIY wheels is a good idea, I've just bought some Banebots wheels with 1/2" hex's and they need some modification so making them myself wouldn't take too much longer.

I'm planning on providing MDF template chassis that they can build whatever they want on. I'm hoping to spark their creativity with the basic bots and if they want to make something more dangerous they I'll point them in the right direction.

Use flanges instead of threads as threads will get worn out over time for the boxes

A few things:
    Are you hacking the TZ85's yourself?

Have you considered a few argos drill motors in permanent housings?

You can get a bunch of wheels cheaply from bearing boys then using a drill press (or even a pillar drill) heat up nuts and press them in.

Just a few money saving ideas from me.

Good idea with the wheels, I'll free up nearly £30 making them myself!

Yes I'll be hacking the TX85a's, the last 2 I did weren't too difficult after I got my head around the programming software. My only concern is the mixing problem lots of people seem to be having. If I can guarantee they'll work with the cheap HK RX I'll use them.

I had thought about going down the Argos drill route, but I want the kits to look fairly professional. I could fabricate some housings but that's more time and material, the drills are £13 + say £5 for ali housings is £18, the GR02's are £32 but Ewan mentioned discounts for bulk orders and I think investing in GR02's should pay off as they're unlikely to get damaged. It might be the difference between having 2 or 3 kits though in which case Argos it is!

Gary I'm not familiar with flanges could you elaborate please? I've got some threaded inserts left from Splinter that would help. Ideally I'd like to use fixings that can be quickly undone so the units can be swapped between machines quickly, a bit like the half turn fixings on Ikea furniture, not sure how well and Ikea table would stand up under full combat though!

take a piece of angle steel. Drill holes in it in both faces of the angle. Screw or bolt one side on to the boxes and then the other mounting hole is available to mount the box to a chassis.

Best image I could find is here,

http://www.bigassfans.com/onlineguid...n_Brackets.png

Take one of those and put it on either end of the box.

No need to worry about wear or cross threading. This will happen. I know how useless university students are with anything practical

This might be the third copy of this post but I still can't work this new Forum layout!

I think I'm going to use NiMh instead of LiPo's, but I know very little about NiMh. I'm planning on running the control units at 12v, so should I get one 12v pack (thinking Vapextech) or run 2 x 7.2v in series?

Also what sort of mAh do people recommend ? Does the mAh rating effect the peak current a pack can deliver like LiPo?

Finally would this be a good purchase for charging them?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...i_Charger.html

Cheers

Well, some of the reviews on Hobbyking seem not to suggest it, with it seemingly going up in flames. Yet, they gave it 4 stars?

Though I can't say from personal experience, but wouldn't it be very stressful for the board/s inside? I wouldn't trust it, IMO, but I've not really had experience with chargers outside the B6AC, and I'm no super Electrician.

I would recommend a "Turnegy Accucel 6" for charging. You can get them with an adaptor on Ebay for about £35 each.

There is nothing that can go drastically wrong with a NiMH as far as I know unless you really abuse it. Though one thing I have been told is don't over charge them as they will go bang (Well pop 95% of the time but its still bust)

Register To Comment