Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nicad packs

His argument is fair enough, they aren't flashy LiPos, but then again people have had quite a lot of success with those. We use them in Tormenta 2, we bought 3 second hand 5s 5Ah versions of those on Ebay for 12 quid each, expecting them to be fairly wasted, and they're perfect. Treat them right and they should last. Even if they're not up to HW standards, Matt, they'll do very nicely for pretty much any feather that isn't top-end ballistic.

Also you'll benefit a lot from getting a LiPo charger anyway, with the cost to performance ratio of LiPos exceeding the other technologies so hugely it's crazy not to get up to speed. You'd be running them fairly hard but I'd have thought two of those LiPos in parallel should get a heavy running nicely.

As has been said, you'll struggle to find the right NiCds now as they're no longer sold new.

For a standard heavy drive they should do fine as you will have around 10ah of lipo at least. I can't see a heavy needing more than around 15c on the drive which those packs can provide. I wasn't a fan of them as I'm drawing large currents in a feather and using a smaller pack

Turnigy is mid range not cheap. If you're just replacing SLAs or Nimh, they're alright. It's what for & how often you use it that'll determine what you can get away with.

@Max.

I selected the battery on capacity-about the same as the 20 cell NiCd , 3000mAh, promised 20C and for this case, local availability. And after reading the UK reviews, you have 1 negative review, and 2 positive ones, and the packs have a good rating overall. So were is the 50% bad review rate?

As I'm happy with the Turnegy and Zippy LiPo's an LiFePo4's in our machines. Up to now they do exactly as promised.
    And yes, I expect a dull pack everytime we buy a new one. But that's why we try to buy packs in the local warehouse, makes the warranty easier to claim.
    Here's a cheaper one in the same range.
    If you follow the rules as the FRA gives them, and take good care of the packs, there shouldn't be any problem. Of course, packs still will fail if the shocks are heavy enough, or when an axe or disk goes trough them. But that's the same for every battery.

If you're really concerned about safety, buy the LiFepo4 packs, a tad heavier, a tad more expensive than LiPo, but still lighter than any NiCd or NiMH pack, probably even cheaper per mAh.

Register To Comment