Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not another battery thread!!!

Hi,
    I was wondering if I used an SLA battery which could give 50A discharge, if that means I could limit my stall current as it will only draw 50A which is all I need for normal operation. Would this damage the battery if I tried to draw too much current?

Yes, drawing to much current, especialy in cheap SLA's, is actualy a short. And that will damage the SLA.

Only the better ones, like Hawker Oddysee, SBS or Cyclon can survive this kind of abuse for a while.

On the other hand, what SLA is limited to 50A?

batteries will try and provide as much current as is asked of them. They basically want to please what ever load or motor is attached to them regardless of the damage it will do to the battery

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    On the other hand, what SLA is limited to 50A?
    I was hoping to use 3 of these to give 18v:
    http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...ource=googleps

The only other option is a 5s lipo but for the decent 50C optipower ones I would be looking at £120 with the 40% discount

what heavyweight motors are only going to pull 50amps? The other issue with those SLAs is you can't charge them quick (4hours at the quickest) therefore you would need several sets for an event.

Would these be better:
    http://www.accushop.at/products/en/R...?refID=Froogle
    I've heard people recomend hawkers.
    I can't find any cheap Nicds or Nimhs- they cost more than lipos, does anyone have any cheaper sources

I'd stick to featherweights as they seem to be more in your budget range.

The Hawker/Enersys Odyssey are the ones you want, any other model are just the same as anything else. But your looking £100 for one 12v 18ah.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    I'd stick to featherweights as they seem to be more in your budget range.
    I am set on building a heavyweight, I will spend what is necessary to build the thing but I am trying to build it as cheap as possible. I am doing as trying to build anything I can myself to save money and because that's the part I enjoy!

I have until recently used 16Amp hour 12v SLA batteries in Saint and Cherub Charged with a car battery charger they worked OK, I had 4 sets on the go at events and always had batteries for the fights.
    Their performance was OK but lacks the punch of the other technologies, especially towards the end of the fight.
    But they were cheap and reliable more than I can say about the NiMH!!!
    If you want to run a cheap heavy can't go wrong with these.

Register To Comment