Register To Comment
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locking bars and arming up!

Will there come a time when it is compulsory for every robot with a flipper to have a locking bar, to prevent someone from having a major accident after arming up? There was a very close shave at the weekend! And before someone says 'a locking bar didn't save Michael's finger' well that was a slightly different scenario!

Hi Wendy,

The rules at the moment state that there has to be a locking bar fitted when in the pits (this is part of the tech check) but there is nothing to say that it should be fitted at the point of arming up. There are the arguments that each machine is different and some may or may not need one.

I think you are right that there should be locking bars fitted to all machines when arming up as the weekend showed.

I think this is a sensible step, not just for arming up the robot, but if you have to separate robots that are jammed together. Putting "the locking bar" in would secure the weapon when men are very close to the robots in the arena and they are still armed! unjamming them would not be as hazardous.

Oh I just found this rule.

12.11 Weapon Restraints
    All weapons must incorporate a secure restraint that locks the weapon in a safe position.
    The restraint may incorporate locking pins, straps and bars but must be secured in such a way that it cannot be removed
    inadvertently.
    The design should ensure that the weapon cannot be fired during the activation process.
    Last edited by craig_colliass; 30th April 2013 at 12:53.

I have a locking bar through the front of the robot, I remove this before gassing up in the arena I think its dangerous to remove it after gassing up as if the flipper fires it will pull the metal rod in my hand and cause injury. I tried to attach a rope to pull it out but any bent metal stops it from sliding freely and just moves the robot instead, So pointless . I belive eruption is the same locking system as me but I think they remove the bar by hand after arming up.

I'm sorry but there are machines that have been allowed into the arena, have been armed up and haven't had a restraint on the weapon in place whilst arming up? Who tech checked and allowed those to fight?????

Thinking to the feather champs every machine was activated then finally before the box was locked, the pins were all removed last thing.

I see no reason that this can't be the case and if your machine is not suitably designed then it should not be allowed to compete. This is simple stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by wendyshep View Post
    Will there come a time when it is compulsory for every robot with a flipper to have a locking bar
    It already is

I have frequently commented at events about the cavelier attitude to arming robots without a weapon restraint, yes there was a near miss last weekend but there have been others.
    Earlier in the year a roboteer nearly lost his head to a weapon as it fired accidently in the pits.

The rule is clear and I quote:

"The design should ensure that the weapon cannot be fired during the activation process."

If we don't enforce the rule, someone will, sooner or later, get killed!
    Last edited by pressure; 30th April 2013 at 17:13.

So rather then locking shut would holding open be a better method with fp flippers that have free floating arms, Robots in the pits all have there manual exhaust valves open until enetering the arena and being armed dont they ?

We have this discussion every year with various roboteer's who turn up without locking bar's, or don't use them when arming up and we simply do not allow it now. There was 1 exception at the champs where they couldn't use it die to bad design and so that robot was armed up when everyone was out the arena and with extra precautions. We won't allow that for the same team next year. For me as an arena marshal, it's just too unsafe any other way.
    Where possible locking bars are re-fitted before they're deactivated aswell.

It's in the rules and needs to be designed I to the machine properly.

I struggle to comprehend anyone NOT putting one on.. it's obvious isn't it???

Register To Comment