Register To Comment

Thread: Diodes for limit switches

Hey Guys

I need to put some limit switches in for my actuator. It's the GLA-S High power from Gimson running on 19.2 V. I think I've pretty much fathomed out how limit switches work but could somebody tell me what kind of diode do I need to use please?

Cheers

Schottky diodes have low forwards voltage drop and high current capacity.

Buy some that can handle your battery voltage in reverse and can carry at least the continuous current of the lifter motor.

The 45V, 10/15A ones that technobots sell should do, might be able to find some bigger/cheaper ones elsewhere if you hunt around.

I run a similar setup in Carcinus, 18V GLA-S actuator running on 19.2V. Used these diodes:

http://www.technobotsonline.com/1n54...ier-diode.html

And had no problems with the arrangement thus far (apart from it getting smashed up by LS4 )

Got a couple of 30A'ers going spare, will pop them in the post to you tomorrow (Chris Salway right?)

thank you everyone for your replies.

Jamie: it was your Carcinus video I used to work out what they are and how they work so thanks for that lol

Ewan: that would be awesome, thank you so much and yeah that's me

cheers everyone

How do you wire that up?

Thanking you!

Just looking at it quickly though, surely mid stroke both switches are open, and the 2 diodes will mean the motor doesn't move? Or am I missing something?

Also (sorry if I'm being thick!) but doesn't the full current and voltage have to travel through the Diodes and MicroSwitches? Well I suppose the Switches are momentary.
    Last edited by PJ-27; 30th April 2013 at 11:10.

If I'm right in saying, when the switches are open the circuit is closed. When you close the switch you break the circuit but the current can still pass through the diode but in only 1 direction

Hang on! 'NC' that means normally closed. Ok makes sense now.

Register To Comment