Register To Comment

Thread: Smooth power transmission: flywheels and spinners

OK, so I'm not building a spinner, but am likely to have a large flywheel and/or gyro

I wouldn't mind smoothing out any peaks and troughs between motor and wheel, in both directions.

I thought a torque converter (fluid) would be ideal, but the only ones I can find are for cars and weigh a tonne.
    Anyone have experience of centrifugal clutches, or any other means?

Is it a bad idea all together?

the old cylinder mowers use centrifugal cluches

Not sure either thing is ideal, but torque converters for go karts are readily available. They aren't light, nor very cheap, and I think they have a max. rpm, beyond which they can stick. Pocket bikes and chainsaws use small centrifugal clutches. Ebay is your friend for those.

Do you know that the torque curve of an electric motor isn't a curve but is a straight line?

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    Do you know that the torque curve of an electric motor isn't a curve but is a straight line?
    I did in theory, but it needed pointing out if you know what I mean..

Would spinners usually be direct-drive then?

Yes. Conventional dc driven spinners are direct drive. You key the electronic side of things handle the changes in load

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    You key the electronic side of things handle the changes in load
    Ah. There we go... that's why this forum so valuable for us newbies. Tah very much. Job's a good'un.

No bother. You would only want to bother with a clutch if either you are using a petrol engine (torque at high revs) or possibly with a brushless motor when you don't want the disc to be able to drive the motor as it can nacker the brushless esc.

Register To Comment