Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The end of robot combat in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    Feathers are the future of this hobby
    Oh dear, should I get into the Featherweight v Heavyweight, and what people pay to see................................NO

FW is already the future power to weight ratio is incredible and they dont require so much space to run. People invest into the FW competition every year

Real shame to hear about Robo Games

Quote Originally Posted by james...venom View Post
    FW is already the future power to weight ratio is incredible and they dont require so much space to run. People invest into the FW competition every year

Real shame to hear about Robo Games
    Ah but the downside being are feathers profitable?

I believe part of our entry fee goes towards putting up the Robochallenge arena. Robochallenge pay the ground rent & people get in free. There's nothing there to suggest it would work as a paid event, particularly with the smaller numbers of audience & touring logistics.

Feather's can and have been very profitable, It all depends on what you want to do with events. For us, full combat isn't the sort of thing that you can host every month like you can when putting on a "show" because the robots getting broken too much. The work and time involved in selling tickets and advertising for an event is massive, and even with selling out we didn't feel it was worth our while. Feather's will sell tickets as much as heavies if done properly, but that's not what we as a company want to do.
    We put on the competitions now to attract people to our brand and put on a spectacle, which is why we spend alot of time and money to put an event on at the Gadget Show Live.

The "vault" arena that BTP built I believe was bought by Roaming Robots. From what I understand they used the polycarb and weighed in the rest of the arena. Again, a similar situation where the arena was so heavy it required a huge amount of time and effort to set up.

Feathers do very well if they are run on their own. When you mix it up with heavy competitions Feathers get lost in the vast space of the heavyweight arena. What also happens at heavyweight events is just chucking all the feathers in one round, and that makes the fight confusing and the audience doesn't get to pick a favorite. The way feathers are run on DRG events, Robochallenge events and I assume in the past XFM events are just as entertaining as heavy events are. As long as you scale everything, not just the robots.

The vault was an arena for Robot Crusade I believe.

As far as I'm aware that isn't going ahead - however there's not alot of info about.

Register To Comment