Register To Comment

Thread: What is a spinner?

Ok, I realise it'll ultimately come down to the opinion and safety considerations of event organisers, but..

Say you have an internal spinning flywheel and then use a clutch or something similar so that when depressed the flywheel's motion is used to wield an axe, is it JUST a flywheel, or actually more of an overly complicated spinner?

I asked the robots live guys a while back and as long as it's internal and protected from the outside with a suitable shield then it was fine although I would contact the event organizers with your design

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    I asked the robots live guys a while back and as long as it's internal and protected from the outside with a suitable shield then it was fine although I would contact the event organizers with your design
    I had a feeling that's how it would fall...

Any EO's to comment?

The "what's a spinner and what's a rotating weapon" question is always a tricky area. The best thing is to tell the EO what you are proposing.
    I agree completely with the, if it is in armour and not able to come out then it is fine idea.

I did ask about exposed wheels being a rotating element, and if you had rotating lifter that spun the same peripheral speed as the exposed drive wheels on the same robot what's the difference? thoughts please

But the main point is if the event organiser is happy to let it into his arena then you can use it.

Externally exposed weapon with teeth, cutting edge or implement to interfere with your opponent, capable of rotating an unlimited number of degrees greater than two full revolutions.

That's how I read the situation anyway.

As Gary said if it was internal, and was there to provide energy for a flipper or an axe for example, then I don't see an issue.

As for an exposed rotating weapon, the issue is the potential for shrapnel, some wheels (storm, Nipper for example) spin very fast, so a conventional spinner would be an issue. However if you had something like a wheel on the front that was designed to try and flip the robots over rather than rip bits off, then that could be possible

All sounds like good sense to me. Actually, in the unlikely event that an EO feels the weapon is overpowered or too spinny, I'm sure sensible people can negotiate a safe compromise. ie, gear the weapon down to whatever the event can handle.

Register To Comment