Register To Comment

Thread: Pnumatic Boost safety and regulation

Greetings one and all.

A first post here from an enthusiastic non-robot owning dude (so far)

While theorizing about future projects, I've wondered about replacing an air-cylinder with an air-compressor.

I understand the pros and cons of that in terms of efficiency, power, etc, but my question concerns not whether the idea is a practical one, but the actual rules and regs.

Imagine instead of a gas cylinder to supply actuators, I had a roots-type blower powered with a 24v dc motor, and conforming to all pressure rules re safety valves, testing of subsequent parts downstream, etc etc.. (it most certainly WOULD conform: the pressures are much lower!)

Now whether it would actually work or not is a different matter, but I wonder if the following quote from the build rules prohibits this innovation before it begins?

"9.14 Heaters and Boosters
    Pneumatic systems using heaters or pressure boosters are not permitted."

In my opinion, this refers to a boost acting upon the system's existent pressure/flow which are otherwise limited by the build regs, whereas my idea is simply alternative source of air, within the same limits as any other. But my interpretation may well be wrong.

What are your thoughts guys?

Personal impression of the rules

A booster is a system to get the pressure over the working pressure limit when the robot is active.
    A heater , if enough power is applied, can do the same.

In theory, as long your compressor (roots, piston, turbine or whatever) doesn't exceed the working pressure of the parts or 1000psi it should be inside the rules.

Yeah, that reflects my thoughts too, but ya just never know... cheers.

Register To Comment