Register To Comment

Thread: Toolbox Design

Hello one and all. Just after some opinions. After spending a day touring all the local trade counters, web and b n q's and the like, I can't find a tool box that fits my needs. My problem is that I work as a computer network installer / repairerer, and so need everything with me from delicate pc/laptop stuff, right through to spanners, socket sets and SDS drills etc. The problem I'm having is that ideally I would like something on wheels for wandering across sites, but then also something I can put on workshop benches for working on things up close. Added to this is the need to have something that holds big heavy stuff, as well as small delicate stuff. I have OCD.

Anyway, everything on sale is one or the other, so I can buy a techy bag with thousands of small pockets but then have no where for hammers, chisels, stuff like that. Conversely I can buy a box on wheels, which has a big open pit but no storage for anything delicate. After 15 yrs in the trade my tools run into the thousands of £ worth, and so am keen not to just chuck them in on top of one another. To this end I've decided to make my own tool storage, the problem I'm having is I'm stuck between two or three ideas.

The idea is a small cube about 40cm square (going to brand it Tool Cube lol), with a sort of pit in the bottom, and then a load of compartments and removable trays to store all my odds and ends. I've sort of already decided that this will give me the storage I need, but I have 3 mounting options.

1 - Put 4 casters on the bottom and some handles for lifting it in and out of the boot and sort of drag it with some sort of handle or rope. (worried I'll look a pleb dragging a box along the floor)
    2- Put 2 casters on and a long handle, and drag it like a suitcase. (struggling to find a collapsible handle so I can shut the boot on it)
    3 - Have no wheels and put a sturdy handle on each side and hoof it (down side is tools weight 12 - 15kg depending)

What should I do.

Why not put the bag with thousands of pockets inside the big box?

have a look at the DeWalt Tough boxes.

Register To Comment