Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ceros batt ideas

I believe that lithium ion is not allowed or mentioned in the rules, I enquired about them a year and a half ago and was told they weren't allowed.
    However we are allowed lithium iron, which are the A123s a lot of people use.

Lipos are now allowed in Heavies. Lipos are being preferred, slightly lighter than A123/Lipofe4 but are much better performance.

Roboteer

There are quite a few Lithium battery technologies knocking around typically derived from Lithium Ion. Lithium Polymer (LiPo) and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) are what is allowed for use in fighting robots.

Although the modern, e.g. Optipower LiPo cells have better performance you do need to be more careful to charge them correctly and protect the cells properly. LiPo cells are less durable and puncturing them will result in fire. There are specific additional requirements when using LiPo cells and you do need to make sure they are sized correctly to prevent over-discharge.

LiFePO4 offer good performance and are safer and more tolerant to over discharge. However, when used properly, LiPo come out ahead.

Other Lithium batteries aren't really commercially available for our use and due to the safety concerns are not allowed.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

Fantastic, thanks for the lo-down. Hope I didn't hijack the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Wizard View Post
    Can I ask.. everyone seems to want lipo, I haven't seen much mention of Lith-ion. Is that purely a weight consideration?
    Lithium Ion suffers from the same problem as NiMH compared to NiCd. High internal resistance, meaning a low capacity for current draw.
    Also, I never found a source for them. Didn't look to hard either, as LiFepo4 and LiPo are readely available.

optipower it is just waiting for order info,

how good are hobby king chargers, currently use a high end rc car charger only does 3s lipo but was silly money and is great.

looking at multiple single chargers or 1 multi ,all the 4x6s look really cheap and have no memory function what a faf,
    hk mega 300w 2x6s looks ok any other ideas or recomendations

thanks all

moved this 'ere post
    Last edited by Bacon Wizard; 17th April 2013 at 23:29. Reason: Moved to more apropriate thread

Quote Originally Posted by adz600 View Post
    how good are hobby king chargers, currently use a high end rc car charger only does 3s lipo but was silly money and is great.

looking at multiple single chargers or 1 multi ,all the 4x6s look really cheap and have no memory function what a faf,
    hk mega 300w 2x6s looks ok any other ideas or recomendations

thanks all
    I have the 4*50W Hobbyking Quadro and the 4*100W Turnegy, and I'm happy with those.

kane any update on optipower order info,
    thanks

Register To Comment