Register To Comment
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Psyclone: The Uprising (Of Build Diaries)

No point at the moment, I only managed to cut a few centimetres before the saw snapped :/

Once I get a new hacksaw, and I've gotten somewhere, I'll post some pics. as for now, it's pretty much the same as it was when I got it from eBay. Only with more sharpie.

After about a hour searching round Crystal Peaks Retail Park, I managed to pick up a couple new hacksaw blades. Soon as I got home, I started work, and finished it!
    The pictures are in reverse chronological order due to Photobucket being weird, but here the pics are: http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/Th...0Feather%20IRL

I have also decided on what I want to do. A pneumatics/actuator system, with a scoop sort of like this:
    ASDFGHJKL.jpg
    The black lines drawn in paint being the scoop design, and the red being the cylinder/actuator.

So, through a slight change of ideas, and several breakages (Due to weird weld-type things), I have decided to try and make an electric axe/wedge. I don't know any of the parts yet, or even if I'm going to use Chain or Belts for it. All I've decided on getting is
    2x GR02 motors
    3x TZ85a (Modifying them myself)
    Bits of 20mm HDPE, to fill some of the empty spaces, for more defence.

I'll have a look around for electric axe stuff, but could anyone recommend a decent axe motor? EDIT: Here are the photos of what it's like currently.
    SANY1272.JPGSANY1273.JPGSANY1274.JPG

For a simple electric axe, I would actually recommend a standard drill motor, with a ~5:1 reduction. For years I've been planning on using big fancy motors or complex arrangements but never got anything built. Yet when I just used a drill motor, I was able to build something in a few hours. Here's a picture of the basic setup (click to enlarge):

It is a 5:1 ratio using 8mm chain and sprockets from Technobots. 8-tooth sprocket on the drill, 40-tooth sprocket on the axe. Here's a video showing how effective it can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSJBug1Y7I (copy and paste, didn't want to clog up the thread with a big embed)

If you stick to a simple setup like this, you should be able to get an axe mechanism made up reasonably easily

I've had a quick look through Technobots, looking at sprockets and chains. I believe a 5:1 ratio looks powerful enough, so I may follow along. I assume the tapped hole size will make it able to fit onto the drill shaft? And, just to be sure, is a drill shaft an M4, M5, or bigger?

Also, if no-body minds another thousand questions, what rod would I have to use to get the weapon to slide smoothly? And how would I cut the hole?

Drill motor shafts are 3/8 UNF which will correspond to bore.
    The tapped hole(s) are for locking the gear to the shaft via grub screws, make as big as possible without removing too much material from the shaft. To use the grub screws properly you'll need to make a flat or divot (depending on the tip shape of the screw) in the shaft corresponding to the position of the grub screw. You might even be able to tap the hole in the gear if you get it to the right diameter.

The silver steel shafts that technobots offer should be fine coupled with some bearings for mounting the other gears.

Also which hole do you mean?

I meant the hole in the middle where the shaft would go, but I had forgotten there were drillbits of that size.

Register To Comment