Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Splinter

Very probably a earthed case, as normal in cars.

How to solve. The right way, is to unearthen the cases.
    Otherwise, drill the boltholes a tad larger, put in a piece of pneumatic tubing, and use fibreglass washers to insulate the bolt and nut from the casing.

That LiPo isn't going to like those motors when they're firing on all cylinders. It can safely put out just 44amps, which if you're looking at stall currents of up to 100a per motor, is very underrated. By rule you need a fuse in there, it has to be quite a bit lower than the burst current of the LiPo, say 50a, you're likely to blow that when you're trying to push something.

This weighs virtually nothing if weight is an issue and I'd argue easily worth the 20 quid. Even if the numbers advertised are a bit wishful it's going to have a burst rating within the stall current of the motors combined: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

If nothing else it protects your investment, we can all imagine what a LiPo failure could do to a wooden robot.

The motors were earthing through the bolts, thanks for your help on that one.

I've bought a bag of M6 nylon bolts and some M6 studding connectors. Hopefully the nylon bolts will be strong enough and should see an end to the smoke.

It's finished! and with more than 24 hours until it's needed in the arena.

Went for 10mm Polycarb in the end. I had the weight spare and it was only £4.50 more to go from 6mm - 10mm. Although I did have to settle for an A3 sheet, to get one that fitted exactly (20% larger) the price went from £12.50 to £65!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan-27; 4th April 2013 at 19:59.

I agree with Ellis about the fuse, its in the rules that a fuse must be rated at lower than the burst current of the lipo. In this case that's 66A so a 50A fuse would probably be the closest. That is likely to blow with those motors though, so better battery is in order in afraid.

So Splinter didn't do very well at all at the champs Electrical problems with the Tz85a's and the Orange RX's made it almost impossible to drive. Pleased with the electromagnet though it managed to keep No Toy from pushing it into the pits for about a minute!

Go to 2:30 to see the electro magnet at work.

I've stripped it down, all the electronics are working and hopefully the drive system will be recycled into a future project. The shell will probably go for kindling!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Register To Comment