Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Splinter

Well BitzaWood is MDF, which I don't think will last too long, but proper hardwood is seriously strong stuff, it also makes a good ablative armour.

@Ellis, we're using Li-Pos they're the only thing that can give us enough amps for the fan motors.

Ah cool, with a battery that can feed those motors what they want the machine should indeed be insane.

Videos?

Hopefully soon!

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver
    Wood gums up conventional spinners and absorbs the impacts. A saw blade would be required however no one fits those these days
    I asked about being able to fit a saw blade in the wooden class discussion and Grant said they wouldn't allow them as they are not all one piece. So that may translate to the champs... not sure.

The problem is that the sharp tips are braised on and break off too easily.

The plan was to test out BitzaWood at another RC event (not the champs) when it had the saw blades, but in my own tests most just broke off and the blades proved quite ineffective.

I can always put them back on for a later date test.

blades like this might be good :
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vanguard-Powe ... 2325807569

Its not Bi-metal type, ie. its a single piece of HSS....just a thought...

Would milling cutters work or are the teeth on those just brazed on too?

Doesn't matter. Any cutting tool need a stable part to work with. With robots, nor the base, nor the to be cut object are stable.

Point in case, Dead Metal, there the jaws made the 2 a stable base.

As much as I'm enjoying the discussion about which weapon would best take apart my robot :wink: I've got a problem.

Each motor runs fine on it's own (better cable sort that out) but when I run both together I get smoke coming out of each motor.

The only thing I can think is that when both are running it's likely they'll be starved of amps but I can't see why that would give me a smokey motor.

Here's the current set up:

1 x 2200 mAh 3s Turnigy LiPo rated at 20C constant, 30C burst
    2 x TZ85a fused at 80A
    2 X Car fan motors. I haven't got the exact numbers for them but I guess the stats are close to EV warriors which have a stall current of 100A

Any thoughts?

Check the motors dont have an earthed case (put a meter across the case to each terminal/wire) I thought with a wooden robot this wouldnt be a problem, but it looks like your using the same bolt to go through both motors, which could cause a short if the motor cases are earthed.

Register To Comment